Hot Honey Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip
Published Sep 30, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This hot honey whipped cottage cheese dip combines tangy cottage cheese with spicy sweet honey, pistachios and fresh basil. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory and makes for an easy but impressive appetizer that everyone will love!
Yesterday I shared a simple on-ingredient whipped cottage cheese recipe and today I’m sharing this hot honey whipped cottage cheese dip because it was too good not to share when I made it!
It combines smooth and creamy whipped cottage cheese with spicy sweet honey, crunchy and salty pistachios, fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil and the combo is pure perfection! My mouth is drooling just thinking about it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The combo of tangy and salty cottage cheese, spicy sweet honey, crunchy pistachios and fresh basil = chef’s kiss!
- Super easy to whip up… all you need is 10 minutes and a food processor!
- It’s an impressive appetizer to serve a crowd!
- cottage cheese – the star of the show! You’ll need a 16oz container of full-fat cottage cheese. I like using whole milk Good Culture cottage cheese and I recommend using 4% milkfat cottage cheese for the best results, but low-fat or 2% cottage cheese will also work. And because cottage cheese has a higher sodium content there’s so need for added salt in this recipe.
- olive oil – a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil adds some healthy fats.
- hot honey – adds a subtle sweetness and spiciness, helping to balance out the salty flavors from the cottage cheese. I used Mike’s hot honey, but you can easily make your own hot honey by adding 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes to 1 Tablespoon of honey.
- fresh basil – this is optional, but I love adding fresh herbs to my recipes whenever possible and I find that fresh basil pairs perfectly with the tanginess of the cottage cheese and the spicy sweet honey. It also adds a pop of color for serving.
- black pepper – optional, but a crack of fresh black pepper adds depth and some spice to this dip!
- pistachios – this is another optional element of this dish, but it’s definitely what takes this dip to the next level, IMO. The crunchiness and saltiness of the pistachios pairs perfectly with the hot honey and cottage cheese.
How to Make
Add cottage cheese, olive oil and hot honey to a food processor. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. You might have to stop a few times throughout to scrape the sides down with a spatula.
Scoop whipped cottage cheese into a shallow bowl or on a small plate and top with a drizzle of hot honey, olive oil, crack of black pepper, fresh basil and chopped pistachios. Serve immediately with pita chips.
What to Serve With Cottage Cheese Dip
- Pita bread – a classic pairing with a creamy dip! Homemade pita or store-bought, warmed pita are both great options. The pita bread helps to scoop up the dip, making it easier to enjoy.
- Pita chips – if you don’t have pita bread, pita chips are the next best option!
- Crackers – try my almond flour crackers or use store-bought. I love Simple Mills crackers for store-bought.
- Toast – either dip small pieces of toast in this hot honey whipped cottage cheese or spread some on a fresh slice of sourdough bread for cottage cheese toast.
- Fresh veggies – this dip is also delicious served with fresh veggies. My go-to choices would be carrots, cucumbers, celery and cherry tomatoes as they’re easier to dip. It’s also a great addition to any mezze platter!
How to Store Leftovers
If you find yourself with leftover hot honey whipped cottage cheese, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to eat it again, give it a good stir to recombine any separated liquids. Keep in mind that the texture may change slightly after refrigeration and if you have pistachios in the dip they will likely soften, but it will still be delicious!
More Dips and Spreads
- Creamy Hummus
- Lima Bean Hummus
- Everything Bagel Dip
- Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Easy Guacamole
- Almond Pesto Dip
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Whipped Cottage Cheese
Hot Honey Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip
- 1 16 oz container full fat cottage cheese, I used Good Culture 4%
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 Tablespoon hot honey, plus more for serving
- Crack of fresh black pepper, for serving
- Chopped roasted and salted pistachios, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Add cottage cheese, olive oil and hot honey to a food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). You might have to stop a few times throughout to scrape the sides down.
- Scoop whipped cottage cheese into a shallow bowl or on a small plate and top with a drizzle of hot honey, olive oil, crack of black pepper, fresh basil and chopped pistachios.
- Serve immediately with pita chips.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.