Yogurt Breakfast Bowl with Toasted Coconut
Published Aug 31, 2014, Updated Mar 20, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
A simple protein-packed yogurt breakfast bowl with plain yogurt topped with toasted coconut, walnuts, blueberries, chia seeds and maple syrup.
In the spirit of back to school I thought I would share a simple breakfast that I’ve been loving as of late.
Sometimes (eh, most of the time) I don’t have the time or energy to make something elaborate for breakfast before work. In cases like this, rather than just grabbing a piece of fruit I usually blend up a quick, portable smoothie or grab a cup of yogurt. Both have an adequate amount of protein and will keep me feeling full much longer than an apple or banana.
The good thing about this particular yogurt bowl is that it can be done two ways, depending on how your day is going.
1) Rushing — Keep it super simple (and portable) by toting a single serving of greek yogurt and a baggie of toppings with you wherever you’re going.
2) Lounging — Take your time and whip up a beautiful, café worthy yogurt bowl by putting the yogurt into a real bowl and thoughtfully placing all the toppings.
The one thing that does take some foresight is the toasting of the coconut and walnuts. While the toasting isn’t completely necessarily, it does give the bowl a bit of extra flavor and crunch. You can toast the nuts the morning of or make it super simple on yourself by toasting a big batch of nuts at one time so you’ll have plenty on hand throughout the week. They’re great in salads too!
I made this bowl yesterday and since it was a Saturday morning I had some extra time on my hands. I decided to get fancy and make the bowl look pretty.
What Type of Yogurt to Use
The base is plain yogurt — I’m currently hooked on Fage 2% and Siggi’s. I took the yogurt out of the small little container it came in so I’d have plenty of room for toppings. Then I started playing around with what flavors I wanted. I decided berries for the fruit and used up some of the blueberries I froze earlier this summer.
I had toasted coconut flakes and walnuts left over from a recent dinner so they were sprinkled over the yogurt. I also added a sprinkle of chia seeds.
Last but not least, I did a drizzle of maple syrup for a hint of maple sweetness. Eaten outside on our front porch with a little iced coffee = perfect way to start the weekend. Yum!
Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
- Toast coconut flakes and walnuts — Place on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or until the coconut is golden. Let cool before placing on yogurt.
- Place yogurt into a bowl.
- Top with blueberries, coconut, walnuts and chia seeds.
- Drizzle maple syrup over the bowl, serve and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.