An easy summer side, this roasted summer squash and zucchini recipe is healthy, easy and so flavorful. Vegan and gluten-free.
Summer squash and zucchini scream summer to me. My Mom used to sauté them both in butter with onions at least once a week during the summer months and to this day I still love the combo.
So when Isaac brought home a huge box full of summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and figs last night (Thank you Dan and Ellen!), I decided I would try my hand at a similar preparation only this time the veggies would be roasted instead of sautéed. It worked out perfectly and the squash and zucchini came out warm, a little charred, sweet and amazing. I’m pretty sure I could eat the whole batch in one sitting. <– No surprise there as that happens with almost all roasted veggies here at Casa de EBF.
This is the perfect side dish to a protein of your choice. It’s pretty versatile and pairs well with almost anything. I’ll also note that it’s great in salads and wraps as well. I purposefully saved some from last night’s batch so that I can put it in salads and wraps this week for lunch.
If you make this roasted summer squash and zucchini, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Your feedback is super helpful for the EBF team and other readers who are thinking about making the recipe.Print
An easy summer side, this coconut oil roasted summer squash and zucchini recipe is healthy, easy and so flavorful. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 lb. zucchini and yellow summer squash , chopped 1/2 inch peices
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place zucchini, squash, onion and garlic in a large bowl, drizzle with oil and stir until all the veggies are coated. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and stir.
- Spread mixture out on a large rimmed baking sheet or baking stone and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once around the 15 minute mark.
*If you don’t have coconut oil on hand you can use a different oil, however coconut oil makes roasted veggies soooo delicious. If you haven’t cooked with it before, I would highly recommend trying it.
- Serving Size: 1/3 recipe
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 3g