Easy Hummus Dressing
Published Sep 14, 2021, Updated May 17, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This healthy hummus dressing is incredibly creamy and flavorful! It works as a dressing for just about any type of salad and is so easy to whip up. Vegan + oil-free!
There are a few store-bought dressings that I like (and occasionally buy) but normally I make my own. Homemade dressings tend to be less expensive to make and generally healthier.
Plus, they’re pretty quick and easy to whip up.
I do have a little secret though. If I’m in a huge rush and have no time to fuss with making a dressing for my salad, I just add a big dollop of hummus and use it as a dip/dressing. This little salad secret got me thinking and I started experimenting with using hummus as a base for an actual dressing — something thinner that I could drizzle.
Here’s What You Need
- hummus – both homemade hummus and store-bought hummus work great! Feel free to get creative with the flavors.
- water – to thin out the dressing a bit.
- apple cider vinegar – when shopping for ACV, look for a brand that’s unpasteurized with “the mother” included. I personally recommend Bragg’s apple cider vinegar. It’s organic, raw and the best of the best.
- lemon juice – I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice as opposed to the lemon juice you can buy at the store!
- maple syrup – just a hint of natural sweetness to balance the flavors.
- almond butter – adds a robust flavor and creaminess to the dressing. Feel free to use any nut or seed butter you’d like.
- oregano, sea salt, and pepper – seasonings, to taste.
Hummus Instead of Oil
The hummus replaces the oil and adds a nice creamy component without any dairy or oil. Less fat, more flavor! Hummus is also packed with plant-based protein and fiber, making it a nice little bonus for salads.
I like to use homemade hummus but there are a lot of great store-bought options as well.
My favorite store-bought hummus:
- Cedar’s – our go-to hummus! You can’t go wrong with any flavor.
- Cava – we love Cava so naturally we love their hummus as well! Again, we like all of the flavors.
- Sabra – I like their classic hummus, garlic or pine nut flavors.
How to Use Hummus Dressing
This dressing is delicious and will work on pretty much any salad! Like I mentioned, it’s my go-to when I don’t have time to think through an elaborate salad and dressing. Here’s how I would build a meal-sized salad:
- Choose your base greens – romaine, baby spinach, kale, spring mix, arugula, etc.
- Add vegetables – I like using roasted and raw vegetables. This is a great way to clean out the fridge!
- Add protein – any protein works! Tofu, tempeh, grilled chicken, cheese… whatever you prefer.
- Add grains – this is optional but I love adding pre-cooked whole grains like quinoa or rice to my salads for more fiber and volume.
- Add toppings – feeling like dried fruit? Want to add sunflower seeds or nuts? Add your toppings of choice!
- Top with dressing – drizzle on this hummus dressing to complete your salad!
More Healthy Salad Dressings
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Peanut Dressing
- Garlic Tahini Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Italian Dressing
- Healthy Caesar Dressing
- Using a fork or whisk, whisk all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well blended. Drizzle onto your favorite salad and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Almond butter: Feel free to use any nut or seed butter you’d like.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.