Add some variety to everyday baked salmon with this easy Hemp and Pecorino Crusted Salmon recipe. You’ll love the crispy texture from the Hemp Heart crust and the salty flavor from the Pecorino Romano.
I found another way to use Hemp Hearts and it might just be my new favorite…
While I LOVE baking with Hemp Hearts (hello there Blueberry Crumble Bars) and sprinkling them on everything from smoothies, salads and yogurt bowls, I’m really excited to know that they also work amazingly well as a topping for fish.
Why use stale bread crumbs when you can use nutrient-dense Hemp Hearts and get an additional boost of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, and vitamin E?
I’ve always been a seafood lover. Now only because it’s healthy, but there’s something about the texture and flavor as well. It just seems fresher and lighter than meat, in my opinion. And most seafood cooks quickly, which works great for impatient people like me who need quick cooking meals. I’m sure you’ve noticed from all the salmon recipes I’ve posted, but salmon is my fish of choice.
This crusted salmon looks fancy and impressive so it’s perfect for serving to guests, but trust me, it’s super easy! Once you have the pecorino cheese grated and combined with the Hemp Hearts all you have to do is add the mixture on top of the salmon and bake it up. While the salmon is cooking you can prepare some fresh veggies to pair with the fish. I’m a broccoli fanatic so I simply steamed some fresh broccoli and topped it with the extra pecorino I had on hand.
If you’re not familiar, Pecorino Romano cheese is a hard Italian cheese made from sheep’s milk. It’s sharper and saltier than parmesan and works lovely with this dish. It should be easy to find at most grocery stores (it will be close to the parmesan cheese in the fancier cheese section). That said, if you’re having trouble finding it fresh parmesan will certainly work.
I should also note that pecorino is an aged cheese so it won’t melt the way a high-moisture cheese would. Instead the pecorino and Hemp Heart crust gets golden brown and crispy when baked and makes a lovely topping for the salmon.
Isaac and I can’t get enough of this crusted salmon and I’m pretty certain you’re going to feel the same way! Enjoy.Print
This flavorful crusted salmon makes for a quick and easy meal that’s loaded with protein, gluten-free and low-carb!
- 4 (5-6 oz) salmon filets
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1–2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon slices, for serving
- sea salt and pepper, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Add salmon skin side down and rub a little olive oil over each filet.
- Combine Hemp Hearts, grated cheese, basil, parsley, 1 teaspoon olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Cover the top of each filet with the Hemp Heart and cheese mixture and press down with your hands to help the mixture stick.
- Place salmon in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. You can also broil the salmon for the last two minutes to get a brown and crisp crust. Just be sure to use foil instead of parchment if you’re going to broil. Serve salmon with a slice of lemon, salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 1 filet
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 39g
This post is sponsored by Manitoba Harvest. As always, opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EBF possible.