Creamy Cucumber Salad
Published Jul 17, 2023, Updated Nov 10, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This creamy cucumber salad combines crisp cucumbers, red onion and fresh dill all tossed together in a simple Greek yogurt dressing. It’s the perfect summer side dish for potlucks or BBQs.
Last week I shared this easy cucumber salad made with a simple vinegar dressing and today I’m sharing this creamy cucumber salad made with a Greek yogurt dressing.
Many creamy cucumber salad recipes are made with mayonnaise and/or sour cream, but for this recipe we’re using Greek yogurt instead, which is healthier and adds a bit of protein.
The combo of crisp cucumbers with the tangy and slightly sweet Greek yogurt dressing is refreshing and pure perfection. Trust me, you’ll want to bring this salad to all your summer parties!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It comes together in no time with just a few simple ingredients.
- It’s the perfect refreshing side dish for hot summer days.
- We’re using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise or sour cream for the dressing!
- It can be served as a side dish with various meals, making it a versatile addition to your menu.
- cucumbers – the star ingredient of this salad! I used regular cucumbers for this salad, but feel free to use English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers instead. Just a note, that if you use Persian cucumbers, they are smaller so you’ll want to double the amount that you use. I also didn’t peel my cucumbers, but if you prefer to peel yours, go for it!
- red onion – adds a sharp, slightly spicy flavor that balances out the cool cucumber.
- fresh dill – I love adding fresh herbs to my dishes and fresh dill pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients. If you don’t have fresh dill on hand you can use dried dill instead.
- Greek yogurt – I used full-fat Greek yogurt for the dressing instead of mayo or sour cream that’s typically found in cucumber salads. It’s rich and tangy and creates the perfect creamy dressing that pairs so well with this salad. Plus, it adds a touch of protein!
- apple cider vinegar – apple cider vinegar is my go-to vinegar for salad dressing because of its health benefits and I love the flavor it adds here.
- maple syrup – adds a touch of sweetness to the dressing and balances out the tangy yogurt really well. If you don’t need this salad to be vegan, honey is a good substitute.
- sea salt and black pepper – two essentials to bring all the flavors of the dressing together.
How to Make
This cucumber salad recipe is so easy to whip up! Simply add the cucumber slices, onion and fresh dill to a large bowl and stir to combine.
Then, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl to create the dressing.
Drizzle the dressing on top of the cucumbers and toss everything until coated. You can enjoy it right away, but I like to let it chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Enjoy!
Substitutions & Notes
Red onion – If you’re not a fan of red onion, feel free to use a yellow instead!
Swap veggies – Want to make this salad without the cucumbers? Try my classic broccoli salad instead! It’s another classic summer side dish that’s also tossed in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
Dill – If you don’t have fresh dill on hand, you can use another fresh herb like parsley or mint. If you don’t have fresh dill on hand, you can easily use dried dill. You’ll want about 3 teaspoons of dried dill to equal the same amount of fresh dill.
What to Serve With This Salad
This cucumber salad is a great summertime side dish for potlucks, picnics or BBQs, but it also makes for a wonderful side salad with dinner. Here are some ideas on what to serve this salad with:
- With protein: serve it alongside your favorite protein for dinner or lunch. My top choices would be this apple cider vinegar chicken, air fryer chicken breast, balsamic salmon, grilled shrimp, maple balsamic tempeh or crispy baked tofu.
- As a side for a potluck: this creamy cucumber salad makes for a great side option for summer parties. I would serve it alongside my turkey burgers, grilled sweet potatoes, fruit salad and Greek pasta salad.
How to Store
This creamy cucumber salad is a great make-ahead recipe for all your summer parties! Store this cucumber salad for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Just a note that the cucumbers will release water as they sit, so the salad might become more liquidy over time. It’s a good idea to give your salad a good stir before serving if it’s been sitting for a while. If you have too much liquid, you can always drain some out before serving.
More Salad Recipes
- Couscous Salad
- Mediterranean Salmon Salad
- Farro Salad
- Tabbouleh Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Classic Broccoli Salad
- Greek Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Sunflower Crunch Salad
- Cucumber and Bell Pepper Salad
- Easy Cucumber Salad
- Cottage Cheese Salad
- Easy Kale Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Add sliced cucumbers, onion and fresh dill to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle on dressing and toss until everything is coated.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately or cover bowl and chill in the fridge and let sit for 3-4 hours before serving. Overnight works great too as this salad tastes better after it has had time to sit.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.