Baked Butternut Squash Fries
Published Nov 16, 2019, Updated Mar 20, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Looking for healthy French fries? Try these easy oil-free baked butternut squash fries with only 2 simple ingredients – butternut squash and sea salt!
That said, these butternut squash fries are still a favorite of mine!
When you think of healthy, homemade fries you might first thing of sweet potato fries. I love sweet potato fries too, but in terms of nutrition butternut squash fries have a leg up!
Which is Better For You? Butternut Squash or Sweet Potato?
While these veggies have a similar nutrition profile (they both low in fat and sodium and high in vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, C and potassium), sweet potatoes do have double the calories, carbs and sugar per serving. But sweet potatoes have a little more fiber and protein than butternut squash. See a full nutrition comparison here.
Either way, both are excellent choices, but what I love about this particular recipe for butternut squash fries is that you don’t have to use any oil! All you need is a butternut squash and some sea salt!
Do You Have to Peel Butternut Squash?
Many butternut squash recipes suggest that you peel the squash. You can certainly do this, but it’s not 100% necessary. Once the squash has been roasted the peel becomes pretty soft an is edible. That said, it doesn’t soften up as much as some other winter squash varieties like delicata or kabocha squash. It still has a little toughness to it. Because of this, I usually take the time to peel it (using a potato peeler).
Making Butternut Squash Fries With 2 Ingredients
For these fries, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Peel the butternut squash, cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash into french fry shapes – trying to make the pieces similar in size so they finish cooking at the same time. Place the squash fries on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges.
How to Serve Butternut Squash Fries?
You can serve them just like you’d serve regular french fries! I personally eat them with just about everything, but they’re great as a side with burgers (try my spinach feta turkey burgers, sweet potato black bean burgers or these cilantro lime chicken burgers). They’re tasty dipped in ketchup, but any dipping sauce is great. I know some people love dipping their fries into honey mustard, BBQ sauce or a pesto dip.
Want More Butternut Squash Recipes? Try These
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Tahini Sauce
- Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Stew
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Other Vegetable Fries to Try
Be sure to check out all of the butternut squash recipes here on EBF!
Butternut Squash Fries
- 1 butternut squash, about 4 cups
- sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Peel the squash. (optional)
- Cut the butternut squash in half and de-seed it like you would a cantaloupe.
- Cut it up into french fry shapes. Try to make the pieces similar in size so that they finish cooking at the same time.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process.
- Fries are done when they are starting to brown a little.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite french fry dipping sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.