Pumpkin Pie Smoothie and H20 Intake

by on February 18, 2010

Where has the week gone? Seriously, how is it Thursday night already!?! I’m not sure, but that doesn’t mean I’m not super excited that tomorrow is Friday!

Enough about the future, lets talk about the past! This morning started out wonderfully. Well kind of – Isaac and I overslept so we missed the 6:00am spin class we had plan to attend, but it ended up being okay because I went to the gym and ran 3 miles instead. Then I came home and made one of the most delicious smoothies ever! Seriously, so, so good!!!

IMG_3513.JPG

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

(Serves 1, Approx. 270 calories)

• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla brown rice protein powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 2 drops of liquid stevia
  • 2 ice cubes (optional)

Blend until smooth and enjoy.

IMG_3515.JPG

I took this cup of deliciousness and headed to work.
And after sitting at the computer for a few hours doing what marketers do I headed home for lunch.

IMG_3518.JPG

Toasted egg salad sandwich with some carrots sticks. I used a local egg and mixed in a little greek yogurt, spicy apple mustard, and curry powder. YUM! I had forgotten how good egg salad sandwiches are. I need to boil eggs more often.
The egg salad sammie was good, but dessert was definitely the highlight of my lunch break.

IMG_3522.JPG

Don’t let the photo fool you, it’s not a KitKat Bar! It’s something much better – a Righteously Raw Maca Cacao Bar.

IMG_3519.JPG

They were sampling this raw chocolate at my local market a few weeks ago (before V-day) and I feel in love. It combines a velvety chocolate flavor with hints of both maca and mesquite to make quite the treat.

Other nice to know information about these bars from the Righteously Raw Website: All our chocolate bars are certified to be Organic, Kosher, Vegan, and Gluten Free. They are made entirely from raw, high frequency foods and retain their raw state throughout the entire process from raw ingredients to finished product. No refined sugars are used and everything is processed in a nut free facility.

IMG_3523.JPG

This bar makes getting antioxidants so fun. ;) The best part is that they have 3 other flavors: Acai, Caramel, and Goji. I can’t wait to try them all!!
Back at work I had a grand idea to help make certain I drink more water. On the Mac there’s an application called Stickies (which I keep my to-do list on). I created a new Stickie that stays on top of everything else at all times:

drinkwater.jpeg

It sometimes got in my way when trying to do read or do stuff, but that was actually a good thing because it really made me remember to drink more aqua.
Do you drink enough water throughout the day? How do you make certain that you do?
Despite upping my water consumption, the hunger set in mid-afternoon and I fixed up a little plain Greek yogurt with some Raisin Cinnamon buckwheat granola and a few drops of stevia.

IMG_3524.JPG

Twas yummy! Greek yogurt is always the perfect mid-afternoon snack as it keeps me full until dinner time. Gotta love that.

Speaking of dinner I came home and took miss Olive on a walk while roasting a few chunks of butternut squash. I put the perfectly roasted b-nut atop some romaine with chickpeas, carrots, onion, and some Annie’s Honey Mustard dressing.

IMG_3526.JPG

I simply love roasted veggies on salads. Perfection on a plate.

Thoughts of perfection lead me to this combination: Katharina’s Banana-Raisin Pumpkin Seed Butter Muffins topped with Coconut Butter.

IMG_3450.JPG

She gave me two of her homemade muffins when we met up last Friday and I enjoyed both of them immensely. Thanks again lady!

Happy almost Friday folks, I’m off to bed.

-Brittany

PS: If you live in MD, VA, D.C. PA, NJ, OH, or KY and you like Kombucha you must know that Whole Food’s will have GT’s & SYNERGY Kombucha- Buy One, Get One Free all day tomorrow Friday, February 19th!! I don’t work nearby Whole Foods, but this is such a great deal that I’m going to get Isaac to stop by and snag me some on his way from work. :)

Nicci February 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I can’t remember the last time I had egg salad, eggs are great!

elise February 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm

figures the NY whole foods wouldnt participate in that kombucha deal. darnit.

that maca bar looks heavenly!!!!

Run Sarah February 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm

That maca bar looks delish. I like the idea of a pumpkin flavoured smoothie too, I have to try that out.

Stephanie February 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm

This is a wonderful smoothie idea – and we know I’m gonna need those over the next few days ;) – I’m going to have to try this out for sure!

Katharina February 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Pumpkin pie smooth m’mm!!! Did you get a cute orange mustache? hehehe :p Ahh I’m so glad you enjoyed the muffins!! I have an idea of what I want to bake next. Well, today I made focaccia bread with caramelized onions–holy moly. I hadn’t made bread in such a long time and I totally forgot how amazing it is. ANYWAY that maca chocolate bar looks sooo cool when you see the filling. And it does look like a Kit-Kat bar at first glance lol. YAY FOR FRIDAY! Today’s weather made me so happy and it’s suppose to be the same tomorrow. Could it be… spring is just around the corner?!

XOXO

Jessie (Vegan-minded) February 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm

That pumpkin smoothie looks fabulous! I am going to search the health food store for that chocolate bar, it looks amazing. What a delicious way to get in some antioxidants and other super foods. Yum. :)

Jessica Lee February 18, 2010 at 11:06 pm

That chocolate bar looks delicious.

Since I am a total LOVER of pumpkin, I’m definitely going to try making that smoothie.

As far as water consumption, I’ve started using Crystal Light packets. I know they have artificial sweeteners (aspartame) but it pretty much guarantees that I drink 6 or more cups of water everyday. Another thing I do is make homemade lemonade. Squeeze fresh lemon juice in water, and just add a packet of stevia. I can drink TONS of water this way.

Angela (The Lady Loves to Eat) February 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm

That pumpkin smoothie sounds awesome, I love pumpkin! I haven’t had an egg salad sandwich in ages, I think I need to boil some eggs!

Jacquie February 19, 2010 at 12:43 am

That maca chocolate bar looks good! I’m not raw, but hey if it tastes good, I’m all for dessert :)

I used to never drink enough water either. Growing up I was in a constant state of dehydration. I was fine, just something that was. I kicked up my water intake in the past year or two as well and what helped me was to carry around a water bottle. I got a reusable one and know that each full bottle is a tiny bit over 3 cups so I push myself to drink full bottles a day. Between that and my morning and evening tea, I’m fine now.

Lauren February 19, 2010 at 6:59 am

That smoothie looks divine and I was just looking up recipes for a roasted butternut squash salad. It’s like you read my mind!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful Friday girl!

christie, honoring health February 19, 2010 at 7:33 am

That smoothie looks so good!!

I don’t drink enough water. I have been trying to increase it but it is so hard for me when it is cold outside. I have starting having hot herbal tea a couple times a day and that seems to help.

Jean @ BellaBeFabulous February 19, 2010 at 7:56 am

I can’t wait to try this smoothie!

That Maca bar looks amazing. I have been wanting to try maca, what are some of the key nutritional/health benefits?

In terms of H20, my routine is to always have a glass/bottle with me and fill it up as soon as it’s empty!

Eating Bird Food February 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hey Jean! Maca is considered a superfood because it is rich in essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. It’s known for it’s ability to increase strength, rebuild a weak immune system, and enhance libido. It has also been used to balance hormones and boost stamina.

Crystal February 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

thanks for the kombucha tip! I’ll have to stop by WF after work today :)

Emilyeatsclean February 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

Seriously that shake looks sooooo good! I’ll probably be trying that soon!! Thanks for the great idea! :)

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

BroccoliHut February 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

That smoothie looks divine! Perfect texture:)

eatingRD February 19, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I got to 6am spin this morning, yay! great way to start Friday off. I have to try the pumpkin smoothie! I have everything except the pumpkin :) That chocolate bar looks divine as well, I’ve especially wanted to try maca. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I love Stickies on my Mac! You should see the obscene amount of notes I make for myself… it’s actually embarrassing! The water reminder is a great idea! :D

Your pumpkin smoothie looks delicious!

sophia February 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Brittany! You know, I dislike smoothies…but honestly, that pumpkin pie smoothie looks DISGUSTING…LY GOOD!! Seriously, I would gulp that down right now! Yum!

I got some samples of raw chocolate, too. They are surprisingly good!

Kalli@fitandfortysomething February 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Wow that maca bar looks great! Yummmmmm i need to get one.
Happy Friday…..

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl February 19, 2010 at 8:09 pm

That’s a gorgeous smoothie!!

Raw chocolate… yum! :-)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 20, 2010 at 11:16 am

What a wonderful smoothie idea! It sounds so decadent!
Have a wonderful weekend! PS – I showed you some love on my blog

josephine September 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm

lately i have been on a pumpkin kick, maybe its fall approaching, regardless i MUST try this smoothie ;)

Lisa J August 23, 2012 at 10:48 am

tried the smoothie last night. Was good! Any idea on the calorie/nutrition counts for that? I skipped the stevia by the way because I used a dark chocolate covered frozen bananna (Annie’s Bannans) instead so I figured I had all the sugar I needed.

Lindsay August 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

For the pumpkin smoothie…we should use pure canned pumpkin, not canned pumpkin for pies, right? thanks!

Eating Bird Food August 25, 2012 at 11:48 am

That’s correct – canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. Enjoy!

alicia February 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Wow what great food you had that day!! I am totally loving all your recipes I am finding on your blog after doing a google search for the garlicky kale salad from whole foods….

Cynthia April 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Hi there,
all the foods and recipes looks delicous….