Published Jan 27, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Here’s how to make the TikTok viral yogurt toast (also called custard toast). I’m including instructions for how to make it in the oven and the air fryer!
Yogurt toast, also called custard toast or cheesecake toast has been trending on TikTok (and Instagram). As soon as I saw the recipe I knew I had to try it. And let me tell you, it’s definitely worth the hype!
The bread gets incredibly crisp on the edges and the custard filling makes you feel like you’re having dessert for breakfast. That said, it’s a relatively healthy breakfast! You’re getting protein from the yogurt and egg, a good source of carbs and a bit of fiber from the bread and some healthy fats as well!
Why You Need to Try This Recipe
- You only need five simple ingredients… ones that you probably already have in your kitchen. Woo!
- It comes together quickly and can be made in the oven or an air fryer.
- It’s really customizable – feel free to get creative with the toppings!
- It’s trending and if you don’t try it soon you’ll have major FOMO. j/k… kind of.
- bread – I used a soft sourdough sandwich bread that my mother-in-law made, but any type of bread will work! White, whole wheat, sourdough bread and brioche are all great options. Just make sure your bread is thick and sturdy and not too porous so it can hold the custard while baking. Also, the softer your bread is the easier it’ll be to make an indentation for the custard filling.
- egg – we’re whisking together one egg with the yogurt to create the custard filling.
- plain Greek yogurt – I recommend using plain Greek yogurt for the best results. My go-to yogurt brands are Fage 5% plain Greek yogurt, Stonyfield Organic Greek yogurt and Siggi’s plain whole milk yogurt. That said, any type of yogurt will work just fine! And you can use a vegan yogurt to make this recipe dairy-free!
- maple syrup – just a touch to sweeten up the custard and to drizzle on top! Feel free to swap the maple syrup with honey or any preferred sweetener of choice.
- cinnamon – just a pinch for added flavor. If you’re like me and like a lot of cinnamon you can add more. I used ¼ teaspoon.
- berries – for topping the custard. I like using fresh blueberries and/or raspberries, but feel free to get creative here!
- nut butter – this is an optional topping, but I swear it makes the yogurt toast 10x better.
How to Make Yogurt Toast
In the oven:
Yogurt toast couldn’t get any easier to make! Start by whisking together your yogurt, egg, maple syrup and cinnamon. Use a fork to press down on each slice of bread to make a well then place the bread slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour the egg mixture into each well and top with fresh berries. Bake in the oven at 425°F for 15 minutes or until custard is set and bread is crispy on the outside edges.
In an air fryer:
Follow the same recipe, but cook the toast in the air fryer at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until custard is set.
I love the yogurt toast topped with berries and a little nut butter and additional maple syrup before serving, but feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own! Here are some ideas:
- Berries – blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries… any berry would be delicious!
- Other fruit – if you don’t have berries on hand, any type of fruit would work well as a topping. Sliced bananas, peaches, mangos, kiwi, oranges, apples … the options are endless!
- Chocolate chips – add chocolate chips to your custard before baking for a more dessert-like toast. I love Lily’s dark chocolate chips as they are dairy-free and low sugar!
- Nut butter – I highly recommend adding a drizzle of almond or peanut butter before serving, but you could also mix some nut butter into the custard.
- Chopped nuts – add some crunch by topping your yogurt toast with chopped pecans, walnuts or your favorite nut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any type of bread will work! White, whole wheat, brioche, rye and sourdough bread are all great options. Just make sure your bread is thick and sturdy and not too porous so it can hold the custard while baking. Also, the softer your bread is the easier it’ll be to make an indentation for the custard filling.
I haven’t tested it, but I don’t see why not! My favorite plant-based yogurt is the Culina plain and simple coconut yogurt.
Yes! The yogurt toast turned out great in the air fryer. Just add your toast to your air fryer and cook at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until custard is set.
Again, I haven’t tested this, but I would imagine that this toast would turn out just fine if you used a plant-based yogurt and an egg substitute like JUST Egg, Bob’s Red Mill Egg substitute or a flaxseed egg. Let me know if you try any of these options in the comments below!
Totally! If you’re looking to serve a larger group, just double or triple the egg mixture and split evenly between your slices of bread. It will be easier to make a big batch in the oven rather than the air fryer, just because you can cook more at once!
More Toast Recipes to Try
- Guacamole Toast
- Peanut Butter Breakfast Toast
- Healthy Stuffed French Toast
- Sweet Potato Toast 4-Ways
- Cobb Salad Avocado Toast
Yogurt Toast (Viral TikTok Recipe)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, (You can use 1 teaspoon if you don't want it as sweet)
- pinch cinnamon, (I like a lot of cinnamon and usually do ¼ teaspoon)
- 2 Tablespoons berries
- nut butter and extra maple syrup, for topping
- Whisk together egg, yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Use a fork to press down on each slice of bread to make a well.
- Place bread slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour egg mixture into each well and top with fresh berries.
- Bake in the oven at 425°F for 15 minutes or until custard is set and bread is crispy on the outside edges. For the air fryer, cook at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until custard is set.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and nut butter.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.