Cloud Bread Pizza
Published Apr 01, 2022, Updated Aug 06, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This viral cloud bread pizza is made with whipped egg whites. It’s flavorful, satisfying and has 31 grams of protein and only 359 calories for the entire pizza!
If you’ve been a follower of EBF for a while, I’m sure you know that I’m a huge pizza lover. I’m all about traditional pizza, but I also love trying different alternatives to regular pizza crust (my cauliflower pizza crust is one of my faves).
So when I saw the popular cloud bread pizza on TikTok created by Ilana Muhlstein, I knew I had to try it! And I have to say, this might be my new favorite pizza crust alternative. It’s such an easy recipe and doesn’t taste eggy at all thanks to the toppings! The middle is soft, but the edges are crispy and I can still pick it up to eat, which isn’t always the case with gluten-free alternatives.
Why You’ll Love This Pizza
- Packed full of protein and low in calories. The entire pizza has 31 grams of protein and only 359 calories!
- It’s the perfect grain-free and gluten-free alternative to regular pizza.
- It’s ready to eat in about 30 minutes, making it the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.
- The crust is made with just 2 simple ingredients plus seasonings!
What is Cloud Bread Pizza?
Cloud bread pizza is similar to cloud bread but doesn’t contain egg yolks or cream cheese. It’s basically a gluten-free, high protein, low carb “bread” made from whipped egg whites and seasonings.
The texture of cloud bread pizza is light and airy and the taste is quite neutral. It surprisingly doesn’t have that much of an eggy taste, especially with the toppings added.
- egg whites – separated from the yolks. Don’t use liquid egg whites from the carton as they won’t whip up as nicely. Save the egg yolks and use them in another recipe. Here are 10+ ways to use leftover egg yolks.
- cornstarch – helps the pizza crust to keep its shape. Arrowroot powder will work as an alternative.
- seasonings – dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder and sea salt add flavor to the dough mixture.
- toppings – feel free to use your favorite pizza toppings, I used pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms.
How to Make
The best thing about this cloud bread pizza is how simple it is to make! The entire process takes under 30 minutes!
Whisk egg whites: Start by whisking your egg whites and seasonings with a hand mixer until fluffy and stiff peaks form, about 1-2 minutes. Add cornstarch and whisk for another minute.
Bake: Spread egg white mixture onto a baking sheet or pizza pan lined with parchment paper in a circular, pizza shape, using a spatula or the back of a large spoon to help spread. Bake at 350ºF for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Sauté veggies: While the crust is baking sauté veggies for 5-7 minutes to soften.
Add toppings: Add sauce, cheese and toppings to pizza crust and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. If you want you can broil the crust for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese more. Make sure to watch carefully so the cheese doesn’t burn!
Customize Your Pizza
As you know, the topping ideas are endless when it comes to pizza! Here are some ideas:
- Extra cheese – add different types of cheese to your pizza like parmesan, fresh mozzarella, provolone, goat cheese, etc.
- Spices and herbs – crushed red pepper flakes, fresh basil, etc.
- Sauce – any tomato sauce works, but pesto would also be delicious!
- Vegetables – swap out the veggies with whatever you have on hand! Zucchini, tomatoes, roasted garlic, or spinach would all be delicious additions!
- Protein – this pizza already packs in a ton of protein, but if you want to amp up the protein count even more feel free to add turkey sausage, pepperoni, meatless crumbles, etc. I tried a plain cheese and pepperoni version and it was delicious!
How to Store
This pizza is best served fresh, but if you have leftovers or want to make this in advance as part of your meal prep here’s how I would store it:
- In the fridge: Leftovers should last 2-3 days stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
- In the freezer: I haven’t tried freezing this crust, but I would imagine it would freeze just fine. I would recommend freezing it after cooked without the toppings. After baking, let it cool completely and cover tightly in plastic wrap or store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours or in the fridge overnight, add toppings and bake as directed.
- Reheating: Reheat leftovers in the toaster oven, regular oven or air fryer until warm throughout and the edges are crispy. I don’t recommend reheating in the microwave as the crust might get soggy.
More Healthy Pizza Recipes to Try
- Eggplant Pizza
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Portobello Pizzas
- Tortilla Pizzas with Hummus
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Naan Pizza
- Easy Tortilla Pizzas
- Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust
- Protein Pizza
More Viral Recipes
- Cottage Cheese Cookie Dough
- Jennifer Aniston Salad
- Scrambled Oats
- Watermelon Fries
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- One Pan Baked Oatmeal
- Yogurt Toast
- Pasta Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Baked Feta Pasta
Cloud Bread Pizza
- 4 egg whites, separated from the yolks
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment to whisk egg whites, basil, oregano, garlic and sea salt until egg whites are fluffy and peaks start to form, about 1-2 minutes. Add cornstarch and whisk for another minute.
- Using a spatula or back of a spoon, spread egg white mixture onto a prepared baking sheet or pizza pan in a circular, pizza shape.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While crust is baking saute veggies for 5-7 minutes to soften.
- Add sauce, cheese and toppings and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. You can broil the pizza for 1-2 minutes at the end to brown cheese even more. Make sure to watch carefully so cheese doesn’t burn!
- Serve immediately
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.