Turkey Taco Meal Prep Bowl
Published Apr 26, 2023, Updated Aug 25, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This turkey taco meal prep bowl combines flavorful ground turkey with lettuce, beans, corn and cilantro lime rice all topped with a creamy southwest dressing. Perfect for meal prep!
The other day I shared my go-to recipe for ground turkey tacos and today I’m this turkey taco meal prep bowl that uses the turkey taco meat in a delicious taco bowl that’s perfect for meal prep!
Meal prepping makes my life so much easier throughout the week, especially when it comes to lunches. It seems like things always come up during the work days, so having lunch prepped and ready to go is huge! I usually gravitate towards some sort of salad for lunch, but this turkey taco meal prep bowl is a new fave of mine (it’s essentially like a taco salad) and I can’t wait for you to try it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Time-saving: Simplify your week by prepping meals in advance.
- Nutritious: Enjoy a balanced meal with lean protein, healthy fats and lots of veggies!
- Customizable: Feel free to make this recipe your own!
- Flavorful: This bowl is packed with flavor thanks to the ground turkey taco meat and creamy southwest dressing!
- ground turkey taco meat – a flavorful, juicy mixture that provides the main source of protein for this bowl. Ground turkey is sautéed with onion, garlic and spices and then simmered with tomato sauce and water.
- southwest dressing – this dressing might just be the star of this recipe! Greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, fresh salsa and cilantro are blended together to create a creamy, flavorful dressing that pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients in this bowl.
- romaine lettuce – a crisp, refreshing base for your taco meal prep bowls.
- cilantro lime cauliflower rice – a low-carb, flavorful alternative to traditional rice that complements the other ingredients.
- black beans and sweet corn – nutritious, filling ingredients that add texture and flavor to these meal prep bowls.
- toppings – feel free to use your favorite toppings but I went with chopped grape or cherry tomatoes, shredded Mexican cheese, avocado slices, cilantro and fresh salsa (or pico de gallo) for garnish.
How to Make
Make dressing: Make southwest dressing by adding all the ingredients to a blender and blending until fully combined and smooth. You can also use an immersion blender for this. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
Cook turkey: Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while cooking. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Pour in the water and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
Assemble bowls: To make bowls, add a base of cauliflower rice and top with romaine lettuce and ¼ of ground turkey. Then top with black beans, corn, tomatoes, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro and salsa. Drizzle southwest dressing over bowl and serve.
To meal prep: In a glass container add a row of cauliflower rice, corn, beans, turkey, romaine lettuce and tomatoes. Add cheese and cilantro on top and serve with dressing on the side. When ready to enjoy, drizzle dressing on top, add avocado and enjoy!
Customize Your Bowl
These ground turkey taco bowls are totally customizable! Here are some ideas on how to make this recipe your own:
- Protein: I love using ground turkey in this recipe, but you can easily swap the ground turkey for ground beef or ground chicken. Check out this tempeh taco recipe for a vegan option!
- Grain: Swap out the cilantro lime cauliflower rice for another grain like brown rice, white rice, quinoa or farro.
- Dressing: The creamy southwest dressing pairs perfectly with this recipe, but feel free to switch it up. This cilantro lime dressing would also be delicious!
- Beans: Feel free to use your favorite style of beans. Pinto beans, kidney beans, refried beans or chickpeas would all work well in this recipe.
- Veggies: Mix and match your favorite veggies to make your meal prep bowls even more nutritious and colorful. Try adding bell pepper, zucchini, cucumber, cabbage, spinach, kale or any of your favorite veggies!
- Toppings: Feel free to switch up the toppings to your liking. Some ideas: jalapeño slices, pickled red onions, queso fresco, sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, cotija cheese, hot sauce or pineapple salsa.
How to Meal Prep
This is the ultimate meal prep bowl. You can prep all of the components in advance and have a delicious, filling meal in minutes!
How to store: In four meal prep containers add rows of cauliflower rice, corn, beans, ground turkey, romaine lettuce and tomatoes. Top with cheese and cilantro. Store the dressing in a separate container. This can be stored for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
How to serve: When ready to enjoy, you can eat the bowl cold straight from the fridge or reheat in the microwave if you’d rather have warm turkey. Top with avocado, drizzle a little dressing over top and enjoy!
More Meal Prep Recipes
- Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Meal Prep Bowls
- Meal Prep Detox Salad
- Tempeh Taco Salad Meal Prep Bowls
- 10 Mason Jar Salads to Meal Prep This Summer
- Maple Mustard Tempeh Meal Prep Bowls
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
- Salmon Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Protein Bowl
- Asian Noodle Bowl (for Meal Prep)
- Easy Salmon Meal Prep Bowl
More Mexican Favorites
- Healthy Guacamole
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Vegan Enchiladas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Healthy Taco Salad
- Healthy Chicken Tacos
Turkey Taco Meal Prep Bowl
Ground Turkey Taco Meat
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
Creamy Southwest Dressing
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt, full fat or 2%
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ⅙ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup fresh salsa
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Ground turkey taco meat
- 1 batch cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed, rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn, drained
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- fresh salsa, to taste
- Southwest dressing
- Make dressing by adding all ingredients into a blender and blend until fully combined and smooth. You can also use an immersion blender for this. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while cooking. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- To make bowls, add a base of cauliflower rice and top with romaine lettuce and ¼ of ground turkey. Then top with black beans, corn, tomatoes, mexican cheese, avocado, cilantro and salsa. Drizzle southwest dressing over bowl and serve.
- To meal prep: In a glass container add a row of cauliflower rice, corn, beans, turkey, romaine lettuce and tomatoes. Add cheese and cilantro on top and serve with dressing on the side. When ready to enjoy, drizzle dressing on top, add avocado and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.