Oven Roasted Okra
Published Aug 12, 2021, Updated Sep 18, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Skip the fried okra and bake it instead! This method for roasted okra comes together quickly and tastes delicious – perfectly seasoned and a little crispy. It’s my fave way to prepare fresh okra.
If you’ve never had okra before, you’re in for a treat! And if you’re from the south and are thinking there’s no way this could be as good as fried okra… hear me out. With this method, it still gets crispy and it’s a bit healthier too!
This is hands down my favorite way to make okra. It’s so simple to make and pairs with basically any protein.
What is Okra?
Okra is technically a fruit, but is treated like a vegetable for cooking! It’s common in Southern cooking and it’s a key part of gumbo.
Okra is rich in vitamins C and K and surprisingly has a good amount of protein in it! Okra naturally has a slimy texture to it (thanks to the sugar residue called mucilage) which is great for thickening things (like gumbo) but not great for someone that isn’t a fan of that texture. Lucky for you, this method of cooking okra results in a crispy side dish, no slime!
Here’s What You Need
- okra – make sure you’re using fresh okra for this recipe and be sure your okra is on the smaller side. Large okra tends to have a thick, woody texture that’s almost impossible to chew through.
- olive oil – to coat the okra pieces for roasting and help the delicious spices stick.
- seasonings and spices – I like using fresh or dried thyme, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper
- optional – a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little spice!
How to Prep Okra
I have seen roasted okra prepared in two ways – by slicing it into long strips like I did, or by cutting it into discs. Either works for this recipe!
Start by cutting away the stem from the okra and the very tip of the end. Carefully cut the okra in half lengthwise and place in a bowl for seasoning. Easy peasy!
What to Serve with Roasted Okra
- Apple Cider Vinegar Chicken
- Easy Crispy Baked Tofu
- Vegan Bolognese
- Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Burgers
- Black Bean Burgers
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes to Try:
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Kabocha Squash
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Garlic
- Roasted Cabbage
- Roasted Summer Squash and Zucchini
- Roasted Asparagus
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Oven Roasted Okra
- 1 pound okra, rinsed and dried
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim the okra by cutting away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends. Then cut the okra in half, lengthwise.
- Place okra in a large bowl. Add oil and spices and toss to coat the okra halves.
- Place okra on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, shaking or stirring the okra at least twice during the roasting time. You'll know the okra is ready when it's lightly browned and tender.
- Serve hot as they tend to lose the crispy texture as they cool.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.