This kale pomegranate salad is super easy to whip up and makes for a festive and healthy red and green centerpiece. Perfect for serving at Christmas dinner or brunch.
If you didn’t think I was enjoying salads throughout the holidays, do you even know me?! I stick by my #saladeveryday method year round. While I do occasionally go a day without a full blown salad, eating lots of veggies is always top of mind!
This salad is the perfect addition to your holiday meal. It’s festive, tasty and ridiculously simple to make… you really can’t go wrong!
Kale is a superfood! It is packed with nutrients – a ton of vitamin A, K and C, as well as, a good amount of manganese and calcium. It’s also low in calories and carbs and because it’s so high in nutrients, it’s considered one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet!
I will be honest, kale can be a hard green to introduce to family members but really, if you prepare it right, everyone will LOVE it. For this salad, I massage the kale with a dressing, which helps breaks down the tough leaves and helps add a delicious flavor to the salad.
Want to take this salad to the next level? Add in some candied walnuts or pecans. They’re so simple to make on your own – I have a recipe for rosemary candied pecans, but of course you can always use store-bought. I used Diamond glazed walnuts and they were a hit with the fam! Usually I steer clear of adding candied nuts to my salads because I’m mindful of my sugar intake and candied nuts have quite a bit of added sugar, but I’m using them for this recipe because it’s meant to be a holiday salad. Of course, you can always make this salad with toasted nuts instead of candied nuts and it will still be just as tasty – but have less sugar. And you can always turn this into a meal-sized salad by serving larger portions and adding a lean protein on top. I bet it would be delicious topped with seared salmon.
If you make this kale pomegranate salad be sure to let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment and star rating below. Your feedback is super helpful for me and other EBF readers who are thinking about making the recipe.Print
This kale pomegranate salad is super easy to whip up and makes for a festive and healthy red and green centerpiece. Perfect for serving at Christmas brunch or Christmas dinner.
- 2 bunches of kale, rinsed and dried, ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 large pomegranate)
- 1/3 cup candied walnuts or candied pecans*
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh or dried herbs (optional)
- Make dressing: add all ingredients into a blender and blend until combined or add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake to combine. Dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Make it and store in the fridge until ready to prep the full salad.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale with about 1/2 of the dressing and use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale. Add more dressing as needed (you may not need all of it). Reserve any leftover dressing for another use.
- Add pomegranate seeds and goat cheese to the salad bowl (saving a little of each for topping), toss together and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Add more dressing if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with candied nuts, additional pomegranate seeds and goat cheese.
- Feel free to make your own candied walnuts/pecans or use store-bought. You can also just use toasted nuts if want to cut back on the amount of sugar.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (made with 1/2 of the dressing)
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
Keywords: kale pomegranate salad, christmas salad, christmas kale salad