A warm and cozy cabbage lentil soup with health boosting ingredients like miso and apple cider vinegar.
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar + 1/2 Tablespoon extra (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 28 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes, broken up with your hands
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or more depending on how spicy you like things)
- 1 1/3 cup cooked green lentils*
- ground pepper + sea salt, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf and basil; cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pot.
- Add stock, canned tomatoes, cabbage, miso and sriracha. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add in cooked lentils and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional apple cider vinegar.
*I used previously soaked and cooked green lentils that I had on hand, but you could add 1/2 cup of uncooked, dry lentils that have been soaked overnight instead. If you do this, you’ll want to add the lentils when you add the vegetable stock and let the soup simmer for 50-60 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 11g