Cabbage Lentil Soup
This cabbage lentil soup is warm, cozy and loaded with health boosting ingredients like miso and apple cider vinegar.
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 1/4 ground pepper + more to taste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes broken up with your hands
- 1/2 head green or savoy cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha or more depending on how spicy you like things
- 1 1/3 cup cooked green or brown lentils*
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste*
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook and stir until onion is tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, basil, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Add 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pot.
Add stock, canned tomatoes, cabbage and sriracha. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add in cooked lentils and simmer for 20 additional minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the miso paste and and remaining apple cider vinegar.
Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, if needed. Serve warm with a salad, bread or crackers.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
- Mis0: You can use chickpea miso for a soy-free version of this recipe. If you don't have miso, you can omit it from the recipe, however if you do you will likely find you need to add additional salt and pepper.
- Note about the lentils: I like to use previously cooked green lentils for this soup, but you could add 1/2 cup of uncooked lentils that have been rinsed and sorted right in with the soup. If you do this, you’ll want to add the lentils, as well as, 2 additional cups of liquid (water or stock) when you add the tomatoes, cabbage and sriracha. Let the soup simmer for 50-60 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 846mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g