These homemade banana carob protein bars are packed with plant protein and are perfect for a quick snack or on-the-go breakfast. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup protein powder (I used vanilla brown rice protein powder)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 5 drops of liquid stevia (or 1 Tablespoon more of honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup carob chips (or mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients – oats, oat flour, protein powder, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients – bananas, egg whites, almond milk, peanut butter, honey, stevia and vanilla.
- Slowly pour and stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is well mixed, then gently stir in the carob chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 5 in. or 8 x 8 in. baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes.**
- Cut into 8 squares and enjoy.
**A cake tester may not come out completely clean because of the melted carob chips.
I’ve found it’s best to wrap the squares in plastic wrap and store them in a ziplock bag or storage container in the fridge. They’ll last for about 1 week. If you want to save them even longer, wrap them up the same way and place them in the freezer. I froze a few last time and they tasted just fine after letting them thaw.
- Category: Bars and Balls
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8g