Healthy Cookie Dough Bites
Published Oct 30, 2019, Updated Feb 07, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Make healthy cookie dough protein bites with chickpea based cookie dough and melted dark chocolate. You’ll love having these on hand for a sweet treat.
I don’t know if this happens to all pregnant women, but I have been craving sweet treats like crazy! As you know, I take a balanced approach to health so definitely indulge from time to time but I also like to enjoy upgraded versions of classic treats! For example, I love cookie dough, but why not improve a few ingredients and make healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bites?!
Rather than eating raw cookie dough (which I definitely wouldn’t recommend doing while pregnant!) that’s loaded with sugar and raw eggs, I whipped up these cookie dough bites with a base of chickpeas and protein powder. We’re basically making a delicious and dessert-inspired treat, but turning it into a filling and delicious snack you can feel good about enjoying.
Ingredients in These Healthy Cookie Dough Bites
- vanilla vegan protein powder
- almond butter or cashew butter
- coconut sugar
- vanilla extract
- sea salt
- chocolate chips
How to Make Healthy Cookie Dough Bites
This recipe is so simple and comes together in a matter of minutes! The only kitchen tool you need is a large food processor.
The base of these balls started with my protein cookie dough recipe. To start, add the chickpeas to the food processor and process until they start to smooth out. If needed, you can use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides to make sure all of the chickpeas are blended! Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the mixture forms a ball of dough. Use your spatula to separate the dough a bit, add in the chocolate chips and then pulse a few times so the chocolate chips get dispersed throughout the dough. Once the dough is mixed, remove from the processor.
Roll the dough into bite sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to firm up.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Cookie Dough Protein Bites
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup vanilla vegan protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips
- Chocolate Coating
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips, dairy-free, if needed
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Add chickpeas to a large food processor and process until they start to smooth out. You may need to use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Add remaining ingredients protein powder, nut butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, sea salt and process until a ball of dough forms.
- Use a rubber spatula to separate the dough a bit, add chocolate chips and pulse 2-3 times or until chocolate chips get dispersed in the dough.
- Remove dough from the processor.
- Roll the dough (using a heaping ½ Tablespoon) into balls and place on a small parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler or by placing chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, stir and heat in 30 second increments until chocolate is fully melted. Use a fork to dip each cookie dough bite into the melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off before placing back on parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge or freezer to set chocolate before enjoying.
- Store leftover protein bites in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.