Gluten-free, vegan banana bread oatmeal that tastes like the real deal. Get fancy (ok not that fancy, they’re super simple) and add some caramelized bananas and toasted walnuts on top for a delicious breakfast!
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 banana, sliced (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- Add oats, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt and half of the banana slices to a medium pot. Add water and stir to combine.
- Heat over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Be sure to stir the oats several times while cooking to make sure the banana slices melt into the oats and the oats don’t stick to the pot.
- You’ll know the oatmeal is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and fluffy.
- While oats are cooking, heat a skillet over medium and add coconut oil and maple syrup. Add remaining banana slices and walnuts to the skillet.
- Cook banana slices 2 minutes on each side or until they start to get a golden crust. Heat walnuts until just toasted. Remove from heat.
- Place cooked oats into a bowl and top with caramelized bananas and walnuts. For sweeter oats, drizzle with extra maple syrup.
- I like to amp up the protein content by adding ½ to 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder to the oats while cooking.
- For less sugar, leave out the maple syrup or use a natural calorie-free option like stevia.
- Category: Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 25g
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8g