Amazing Vegan Coffee Toffee Bars
Published Dec 15, 2016, Updated Dec 03, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These amazing vegan coffee toffee bars are like a cookie but in bar form. They’re loaded with almonds and chocolate chips and they have a subtle coffee flavor – perfect for coffee lovers but not strong enough to turn away coffee haters!
I’m sure you can tell, but I have a thing for coffee (I’m actually sipping a cup of bulletproof coffee as I type this). When Olivia was born, Isaac and I splurged and bought ourselves a Jura espresso machine, which has been such a game-changer! We use it literally every day (multiple times a day) and the great thing about it is that you can make everything from regular black coffee to fancy latte drinks. It’s definitely an investment, but 100% worth it in the long run. It’s already saved us money on going out for coffee.
I not only love all types of different coffee drinks, but I’m a huge fan of coffee treats! I’ve made these almond butter espresso cookies, which I love making around the holidays, but these vegan coffee toffee bars are next level! They’re so rich, buttery and delicious. And no one would ever guess they are vegan! They’re definitely not the healthiest baked good I’ve ever posted on EBF, but they’re so darn good I had to share.
This recipe came about after a day of baking with a good friend of my mine, Barbara and her friend, Ashley. Ashley is a baker by profession and invited us both over to her place for a day of baking and movie watching. She taught us how to make these vegan coffee toffee bars and she agreed to let me share the recipe here on EBF as well. Which I’m still very thankful for because it’s pretty amazing!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- all-purpose flour – I haven’t tried this, but if you’re looking to make these bars gluten-free I bet using gluten-free all-purpose flour will work just fine. Comment below and let me know if you try it!
- baking powder – a leavening agent.
- salt – brings all of the flavors together.
- vegan butter – I used Earth Balance buttery spread but your favorite vegan butter should work just fine!
- brown sugar – coconut sugar will also work.
- instant coffee granules or ground espresso
- almond extract – a flavor enhancer. You can use vanilla extra if you don’t have almond!
- dairy-free chocolate chips – I used Enjoy Life minis but if you don’t need them to be dairy free you can use whatever chocolate chips you like.
- sliced almonds – for the perfect crunch.
How to Make Coffee Toffee Bars
Mix dry ingredients – Add flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
Cream butter – Cream butter and sugar using a stand or hand mixer. After well mixed, add in coffee and almond extract.
Mix the dough – Add dry ingredients into the mixer and mix until just blended. Throw in almonds and chocolate chips. If needed, use your hands to toss the dough and press chocolate chips and almonds in.
Bake – Grease a 9X13 pan and pour the batter into the pan. The batter is thick so use a spoon or your hands to spread the batter evenly across the pan and press it down. Bake at 350° for about 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool – Let bars cool for 20-30 minutes, cut and enjoy! I know it’s hard, but make sure to let the bars cool completely because they’re MUCH easier to cut and eat after cooling The chocolate solidifies, the bars harden and the edges get crispy. My definition of perfect!
How to Serve and Store Coffee Toffee Bars
One batch makes 12-16 bars so they’re great for gatherings or parties, although they also make a great snack paired with coffee or hot tea. Store bars in the fridge for up to one week or freezer for up to 3 months.
Bar Recipes to Try
- Magic Cookie Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Bars
- Banana Oat Powder Bars
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- PB&J Bars
- Berry Baked Oatmeal Bars
Cookie Recipes to Try
- Almond Butter Espresso Cookies
- Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies (Cut-Out Cookies)
- Dark Chocolate, Pistachio and Cardamom Cookies
- 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Protein Cookies
- Healthy No Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Be sure to check out all of my dessert recipes here at EBF!
Amazing Vegan Coffee Toffee Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance buttery sticks, softened
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee granules or ground espresso
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life minis
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar using a stand mixer, add in coffee and almond extract.
- Add dry ingredients into the mixer and mix until just blended.
- Lastly, add in almonds and chocolate chips. If needed, use your hands to toss the dough and press chocolate chips and almonds in.
- Grease a 9X13 pan and pour the batter into the pan. Batter is thick so use a spoon or your hands to spread batter evenly across pan and press it down.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes, cut and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.