Hi friends. If you were in Sandy’s path last night, I hope that you are safe and sound! We are very thankful that Richmond didn’t get hit with much besides a ton of rain and a cold front. In anticipation of Sandy, my office was closed yesterday and we have a late opening today, which gave me a little extra time to get this post ready…
And that’s a good thing because several of you asked for the recipe a few nights ago when I posted it on Instagram. The good news about this recipe is that it utilizes one of my favorite veggies (b-nut squash), doesn’t take too long to prep and it only requires one dish. Less dishes = always a plus in my book.
- 3 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari, soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, in a liquid state
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) tempeh, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 cups), peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh cremini or white mushrooms, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk tamari, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
- Use hands to gently toss tempeh, butternut squash, onion, and mushrooms in a 9×9 square baking dish (I used our pampered chef square baker).
- Pour tamari mixture over the tempeh, squash, onion and mushrooms and toss to coat. Sprinkle on sea salt, ground pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Pull baking dish out, remove and discard the aluminum foil, stir and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until butternut squash is cooked to your liking. If you’re like me and enjoy your tempeh a little cripsy, you can turn your oven on the briol for the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from baking dish and serve over quinoa, brown rice or spring mix. I served ours over spring mix with a dollop of chili paste to kick things up a notch.
Alright, it’s time for me to head into work. I’ll be back soon the Health Warrior Chia Bar giveaway winner and an update on how my P90x challenge is going – I started yesterday!!!