A vegan breakfast sandwich loaded with all the goods: creamy avocado, almond butter, sautéed kale and tempeh bacon, served on a perfectly toasted english muffin. This recipe was created as part of the Lightlife Blogger Ambassador Program.
Almond butter or avocado? This is a question I’ve asked myself often while standing in front of the toaster oven and I’ve basically come to the conclusion that you should never have to pick one or the other. Almond butter and avocado toast are both amazing on their own, but the world becomes a better place when you combine the two.
And it’s precisely why this vegan breakfast sandwich that combines almond butter, avocado, sautéed kale and tempeh bacon is so delicious.
The whole idea for this epic sandwich came about when Sarah, EBF’s newest intern (learn more about her here) mentioned a vegan breakfast sandwich she’d had at a cute shop called The Green in Nantucket. The Green’s sandwich combines three of my fav things: almond butter, avocado and sautéed kale on toasted bagel and the way Sarah talks about it, I know it’s crazy delicious.
As soon as she mentioned it I knew I needed to try the combo and then decided adding tempeh bacon would be an excellent way to add protein and make this a sweet and savory, wholesome breakfast sandwich.
Obviously, this sandwich is a little different for a few reasons — it’s vegan and best when eaten as a whole sandwich (not opened-faced) — but it still has the sweet and savory thing going. I’m kind of hooked on it right now and can’t thank Sarah enough for the inspiration.
The icing on the cake is that now I have a delicious tempeh bacon recipe here on EBF, which is going to be perfect for using in future recipes. I already see a vegan BLT and a tempeh bacon salad happening this spring/summer. Can’t wait!
In the meantime, try this breakfast sammie and let me know what you think. I have a feeling you’re going to love it!
I used Lightlife’s Original Tempeh to make the tempeh bacon, but if you want to skip a step and make the recipe even easier you can use Lightlife’s Fakin’ Bacon Smoky Tempeh Strips. Just skip steps one and two of the recipe.Print
A vegan breakfast sandwich loaded with all the goods: creamy avocado, almond butter, sautéed kale and tempeh bacon, served on a perfectly toasted english muffin.
- 8 oz package of Lightlife Original Tempeh
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups torn/chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole grain english muffins, sliced (I like the Ezekiel brand)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1-2 Tablespoons almond butter
- Cut tempeh into 1/4” – thick strips/slices.
- Add tamari, oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, paprika, garlic powder and pepper to a shallow dish. Whisk together with a fork and add tempeh slices. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange tempeh slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Pour any leftover marinade over tempeh and bake for 15 minutes. Toss tempeh and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until tempeh is crispy.
- While tempeh is baking, add oil and kale to a skillet on medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until kale is bright in color and a bit charred/crispy. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Toast your english muffins. Once toasted, smash avocado on one half and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Spread almond butter on the other half. Layer kale and 3-4 pieces of sliced tempeh bacon on top of the mashed avocado and top the sandwich with the almond butter half. Repeat to make second sandwich and enjoy!
* This recipe makes extra tempeh bacon! Keep leftover tempeh bacon in a storage container in the fridge for using later. It makes a great salad topping!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
If you make this vegan breakfast sandwich let me know how it turns out in the comment section or share a photo on social media. Just be sure to tag me (@eatingbirdfood + #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it!