Hey friends! Having Monday off made this week fly by and I’m pretty excited Friday is already here!!
Today I have a fun recipe to share. It all started with the lima bean mousse we had at the Arcadia vegetarian wine dinner last week…
I couldn’t get the cucumber cups with mousse out of my head and I knew we had a bag of frozen lima beans in the freezer. Despite having nothing packed for the beach when I came home from work on Friday evening, I started whipping up a batch of hummus. You see where my priorities are.
We needed a healthy snack for the drive.
I ate a few crackers with the hummus before leaving and then packed the rest in a cooler so I could share it with my friend Jess and her family at the beach. I was a little apprehensive when we broke it out one night as an appetizer before dinner (you just never know how new foods are going to go over) but it was a huge hit! A couple of people even thought there was some sort of cheese in it because it tasted so creamy… nope, it’s vegan.
- 12 oz bag of frozen lima beans
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼-1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid or water, more or less to thin dip as desired
- Cook lima beans according to package directions, drain and reserve ¼-1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except cooking liquid or water.
- Purée until smooth, gradually adding liquid as desired to thin dip and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
By the way, I was getting a lot of emails from people asking for an easy way to print my recipes so I’m now formatting them with the print button. I hope this is helpful!
This recipe is a lovely change of pace from regular hummus – it has a sweeter flavor and works great as a dip with crackers or veggies, as a spread on sandwiches or as a salad topping. Speaking of crackers, the ones in these photos are Raisin Rosemary Crisps from Trader Joe’s and they are phenomenal. My cousin told me about them a few weeks ago and I’m now in love a.k.a I can’t stop eating them by the handful. If you buy them, don’t blame me, I gave you all a fair warning.
Let me know what you think of the hummus if you try it!