California Bean Burger Collard Wrap

by on April 18, 2012

Vacation mode is officially over and I’m happy to say that I’m back to my old eating habits. Lots of whole foods have been on the menu as of late. I don’t think I’ve eaten any packaged foods this week! I know we’re only three days in, but that’s definitely a success in my book. It’s so easy to lean on convenience foods and even though I tend to stick with healthy options, the sodium and preservatives aren’t so great.

I’ve actually had the same meals for lunch and dinner over the past two days. <– Not the same thing for all four meals, but the same thing for both lunches and both dinners. Each of two meals are super tasty and I’ve changed things up a tad so they haven’t been boring. Plus, they have been nice and easy.

The lunch I’ve been loving is a bean burger collard wrap, which was inspired by the wraps in the Beach Babe edition of the Tone It Up nutrition plan.

California Bean Burger Collard Wrap

I used a left-over Mediterranean Bean Burger (recipe from LTEV), but you can use any homemade bean burger you’d like. I recommend these black bean burgers or these gluten-free sweet potato and black bean burgers. And, if you don’t have time to make homemade burgers you can use a packaged variety. I’m a big fan of NoBull Burgers and Amy’s Texas or California burgers.

California Bean Burger Collard Wrap

California Bean Burger Collard Wrap

Serves 1

With the fresh flavor and crunchy texture of this wrap, you won’t miss the burger bun at all! And yes, I named these California Bean Burgers because of the avocado. Sue me. ;)

Ingredients

• 1 collard green leaf
  • 1 homemade bean burger
  • 1-2 teaspoons hummus
  • 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
  • sliced tomatoes
  • squirt of dijon mustard (or ketchup)
  • pepper

Preparation

1. De-stem your collard leaf. I used a paring knife and cut out the large stem, but I’ve learned through googling that you can easily shave down the stem rather than cutting it out completely.
  2. Place the leaf on a flat surface, fill with remaining ingredients and wrap up like a burrito.
  3. Cut the wrap in half and enjoy.

Have a lovely Wednesday and enjoy Modern Family tonight, if you’re a fan. A little secret – I still love the show, but lately New Girl has been creeping up on the list of my favorite shows. Tonight’s Mod Fam better be good or else New Girl might become number one. :)

Sara @my less serious life April 18, 2012 at 7:47 am

i’ve seen collard wrapped burgers before and would LOVE to try one. guess i should make my own! thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

LizAshlee April 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

These kind of meals are my favorite..I am currently enjoying a veggie chard wrap with beets, celery, scallions, goat cheese, seasoning..it’s amazing!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

Collards are one green I haven’t tried – but I LOVE avocado with a spicy bean burger!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m totally stealing the collard wrap idea today for lunch! I’ve done it before but I guess I forgot b/c I’ve been preparing collards the same way (sauteed) for what seems like forever. It’s always fun to change it up :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Mm, I love collard wraps! I’m the same way, especially when I get back from vacation. It’s almost like I’ve forgotten what I normally eat, so I stick to 5-6 of the same foods just prepared differently.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic April 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’ve never tried doing the collard wraps like this but they look absolutely delicious!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl April 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm

A great use of collard greens. Looks delicious. And “California” named rightfully so. ;)

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice April 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Loving collards lately. I need to do this asap. I feel the same way about New Girl/Modern Family! At first I thought New Girl was kind of corny – but now I love it. And I think I might like don’t trust the b in apt. 23. but need to see more to see if it holds my attention.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate April 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hummus, avocado, and a bean burger! Yum! This looks like a delicious fiber-rich option if you ask me.

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 19, 2012 at 8:10 am

Oh my goodness!!! This looks so deliciously amazing! And I love that you wrapped it in collards! Avocado and hummus are such a wonderfully creamy combination! I’m totally bookmarking this one!

Can’t wait for our run tomorrow!

Eating Bird Food April 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Yes! I’m ready for our run tomorrow too. See you at 6:45??

And, if you love the combo of hummus and avocado you should totally try this recipe: http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2010/07/hummus-and-avocado-cakes-the-best-snack-of-summer-2010/

It’s amazing! :)

Val @ Tips on Healthy Living April 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Such a cool idea for using collards! I’ve noticed that my go-to green, kale, has gotten more expensive lately but collards are still such a great, cheap option.