Draft Who’s Cutest and Eat Beet Hummus

by on August 30, 2010

You’ll never believe what happened did this weekend!?! I, the girl who’s probably never watched over 5.4 minutes of a football game (excluding Super Bowl commercials), joined a fantasy football league AND attended a draft party. It’s an all-ladies league and it’s called “Draft Who’s Cutest” so I couldn’t really resist.

Needless to say, Isaac is beyond pumped that I’m involved in said league. I think he thinks that because of this I am going to be remotely interested in football games. Who knows – maybe this little league will turn me into a football lovin’ fool. Doubtful, but I’ll let Isaac dream.

I have to admit that the draft party was fun. 10 girls, beer, and lots of appetizers – what’s not to like? You’ll be glad to hear that I now know that a tight end is an offensive player, not a bangin’ gluteus maximus.

I couldn’t decide what dish to bring for the draft party- it’s amazing, I have all these (great!) recipes on the blog, but I’m still at a loss every time I need to take a dish somewhere. It’s interestingly similar to the fact that my closet is full of clothes, but I never have anything to wear…. Anyhow, I rummaged through the fridge and found a big bag of beets from a CSA purchase a while back and immediately remembered a recipe for beet hummus the Pure2Raw ladies recently posted about. I also took a peek at a variation from Elise at Simply Recipes and came up with an adaptation of the two. And… it turned out to be really good!

Beet Hummus Recipe

I loved the colorfulness it added to the table of appetizers and the flavor is delicious. Most of the ladies who tasted it said they liked it as well, so I’ll take that as a success. My version definitely had a nice kick from the large clove of garlic I used – one person even asked if it had horseradish in it. With that said, use less garlic if you’re not a garlic lover.

beet hummus.jpg

And in case you are at all interested in football, here’s my line up.

Team Hotness

• Santana Moss WR
  • Kevin Walter WR
  • Kevin Boss TE
  • Kellen Winslow TE
  • Mason Crosby K
  • Cowboys Defense

Don’t you have a strange feeling that Team Hotness is going to win? :)

Alright, I’m off to clean up the kitchen and then go grab fro yo with sir Isaac. Have a lovely evening!

But before you go, riddle me this – Do you like football? Have you ever been part of a fantasy league?

Pure2raw Twins August 30, 2010 at 8:31 pm

YUMMMMM

Love beet hummus so glad you enjoyed it too! I just love the color beets provide the hummus, so pretty ;)

Thanks for the shout out! xoxo

Jessica @ How Sweet August 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

The color alone makes me want to eat that dip. Beautiful!

Lauren August 30, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Haha, okay, now this hummus is the perfect addition to bring to a “girls football draft!” You are too cute! :)

Lauren @ vegology August 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I love football just because I love to root for my hometown team. Go Ravens! By the way, Ray Rice – great choice. :)

BroccoliHut August 30, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Mmm I love me some beet hummus. I posted a recipe several months back, but I love the sound of your version!

Mollee Sullivan August 30, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for posting this! Beets are one of the few vegetables that I’m allowed to eat, so I’ve been looking for new ways to use them that actually make them taste good. Excited to try it!

Emily August 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I just hosted a draft party last night! I had the first pick, and I’m pretty pumped about my team – and the trash-talking that is likely to ensue. :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm

This is a fantasy league I could actually see myself participating in! What a funny idea.

Good luck to you and Team Hotness! I’m not much of a football fan, but I will watch the “big games” : MN vs WI, the Super Bowl, etc.

teenagehealthfreak August 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm

you go!! learn something for us all! haha..i go to football games…and i look at the field…but i never acctually watch the game. i’m just like..okay..how is this entertaining??!!?!? lol…that hummus looks great….hummus + beets…thats gotta be good! :)

Monet August 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm

You are so cute! I like football (occasionally) but since Ryan really isn’t into it, we don’t watch many games. And we don’t do fantasy football (although I would try anything once!) One thing I certainly will try is that hummus…such a beautiful hue!

McKella August 30, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Well that is the cutest pink hummus I ever did see. All it needs is some jelly beans…

Nicole (Making Good Choices) August 31, 2010 at 7:13 am

I made hummus weekly, but I’ve never used beets. I never even had a beet (besides in a juice) before last weekend. I will be trying this!

Kathy August 31, 2010 at 8:45 am

Ooooo! Beet Hummus sounds fabulous! What a great way to use beets.

I love to watch football, but really couldn’t name most of the players if they’re not the “famous” ones. I’m a much bigger fan of NASCAR and have done fantasy racing, but not fantasy football.

Go Team Hotness! :)

allison @ livingoneday August 31, 2010 at 9:05 am

that beet hummus looks so good, and the color is beautiful!! my boyfriend played college football, and hes in a billion fantasy leagues every year. i’ve never actually participated (or watched football, for that matter. i prefer tailgating with spiced cider and new mittens), but i love watching him as he plays. i also read the emails the guys write back and forth. they are so funny! i think next year i am definitely going to do this draft!! love it!

brandi August 31, 2010 at 9:43 am

That draft sounds so fun!

I don’t do fantasy football, but I LOVE FOOTBALL!!! I am SO excited the season is starting this week. I only watch college, but I’m obsessed with it.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 31, 2010 at 9:44 am

YUM!!! its like Tickle-Me-Elmo fell into the blender when you were making hummus…LOL <3 <3

extra iron :)

monicanelsonfitness August 31, 2010 at 11:18 am

Stunning recipe! Thanks for sharing. I love how you are into Fantasy Football. That rocks! :)I can’t lie, I am a big fan of many other sports-not so much football, Gasp! Love those commercials on the Superbowl though mainly because I usually am looking for someone I know (since I am here in LA and everyone is an actor, lol)then you see them you don’t! Have a great day.

Paula August 31, 2010 at 11:46 am

Draft who’s cutest…what a neat idea! I did play fantasy football once, three of us girls were a team, playing against boys. I think we did pretty good, but I can’t really remember. lol Good luck with your team!

Mary (A Merry Life) August 31, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Beet hummus… how fun! It totally makes me think of Dwight from The Office. ;)

Eugenio August 31, 2010 at 8:36 pm

That looks great, I never would have thought of adding beets to hummus but it looks like a great choice, I’ll be posting a beet ice cream recipe/experiment that I made with my son in the next couple of days. Tastes very beety, but not sure it will end up in any restaurants.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I love funky colored food and this one is quite pretty! Beets are sooooo good too :)

Allison September 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love football, especially the Eagles:):) I was pretty much the son in a family of all girls lol but i have never had a fantasy team.

That humus looks so pretty!!! What better to bring to a girls fantasy football party then pink hummus!?!?

Marianne September 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm

In our hockey pool one year one of the girls in my office chose her team simply based on who would make the best muppet. I’ve picked race horses simply based off of the weirdest name before and had it turn out, so hopefully Team Hotness rocks for you!

I want a way to like beets…I wonder if this hummus could be it? Maybe if I cut it with some chick peas as well, just to make it even more “hummusy”?

Michelle September 8, 2010 at 10:26 am

Yum! I’ve made a beet green hummus but this is definitely prettier!

Kris November 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hi Brittany, THX again for another amazing recipe! I prepared this beet hummus today and it was the first hummus ever I did that turned out good. I love hummus (unfortunately in Germany it is not common like in U.S.) and I tried several times to make some from garbanza beans, tahini, lemon, olive oil and garlic, but the results were always so disappointing, that I stopped trying again…:(
I have 2 admit that this kinda hummus actually looked pretty weird color-like, but it was very good tasting.
Have a beautiful day, Kris

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm

So glad you enjoyed the beet hummus!! Thanks for leaving a comment. I always loving getting feedback on the recipes I post.

Sue Kauffman February 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I love hummus and I love beets. What’s not to like about this recipe? Going to have to try it for my next get-together. I joined a fantasy league a few years ago and it was fun. I was a tiny bit more interested in football that year…and I won the league. Go figure.

Christine October 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hi. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe but I’m afraid I may have a silly question … I’m not familiar with the “T” measure. Is that for tbsp?

Brittany Mullins October 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Yup! The T stands for Tablespoon.

Christine October 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Oh and also my 10 VERY SMALL beets give me about 2lbs!
Wondering if I should go with 0.5lbs (3 beets) or the suggested 10 beets?

Brittany Mullins October 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I would go with the 1/2 lb measurement. Hope this helps. Let me know how they turn out!

Aqiyl Aniys March 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I would never have thought to add beets to hummus. I love hummus and beats but never thought to combine the two. Looking at the comments, I need to try it.