Britt's Black Bean Burgers

by on April 21, 2009

I’m usually willing to try anything in the kitchen, but for some odd reason the thought of making my own bean burger seemed really intimidating. That is until Jessy from HappyVeganFace, broke it down for me and said, “It’s so easy, all you need a bean, a veggie, bread, and a binder.” I thought wow, that really is easy! I looked around online (at her blog and others) for a good recipe to use. I didn’t have ALL the ingredients for any recipe I found so I just used this recipe as a guide and decided to concoct my own version. I served mine on an Ezekiel English muffin with a large side of ketchup! Oh and butternut squash fries as well!

Britt’s Black Bean Burgers

3 rings of pickled jalapenos (optional)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh parsley
15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
sea salt

Heat a skillet with non-stick spray. Once warm add the peppers, red onion, and garlic in to the skillet and cook until they start to turn brown. Put the cooked mixture of veggies into a food processor or blender. Add the parsley and pulse several times. Add the beans and pulse five or six times. The beans should be broken up but there should still be some small chunks. Don’t over process, as you want your bean burgers to be a little chunky.

Transfer the veggie and bean mixture into large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs and other remaining ingredients and form into four patties.

In the same skillet, heat on medium, spray non-stick spray and add the patties, cook each side until browned, about 6-7 minutes total.

I’m so happy that I finally under took on the not so challenging bean burger. I’m pretty positive you will be seeing more bean burger creations in the near future. Is there any meal/food you’ve been scared to cook, only to find out it was totally easy?

Sharon April 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Wow, I totally want to try that burger! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I am going to remember to find some black beans next week!

VeggieGirl April 21, 2009 at 9:03 pm

YUM!!

Kristin April 21, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Ooo that does sound easy when you break it down like that! Maybe I’ll have to replicate!

Meg April 21, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Way to go! I would love to have a taste of that one!

janeexplained April 21, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe & instructions – you made that seem really easy and made me want to try it out.

I don’t live in Richmond full-time anymore, but my parents and sister are still there so I visit often (they live in Bon Air). I miss living in the Fan a ton – being able to walk to awesome restaurants was my favorite part of course ;)

runsarah April 21, 2009 at 9:17 pm

When I tried making bean burgers it was a lot of mashing – good call on the food processor, I’ll try these in my magic bullet!

Marissa April 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm

That burger sounds great – especially with the jalapenos!

gina (fitnessista) April 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm

those look delicious!!! thanks so much for posting the recipe– i’ve been looking for a good burger recipe :D
i was afraid of quiche until last week. it ended up being way easy!
have a great night <3

Pearl April 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm

that looks like a great burger! how did you like it?

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday April 22, 2009 at 5:16 am

So glad you made the bean burgers!!!

I am very afraid of making bread.

eatingbirdfood April 22, 2009 at 7:11 am

Pearl- I guess I thought this went unsaid, because I wouldn’t post a blah recipe, but I totally should have mentioned that they were AWESOME. So so so much more flavor and just plain better than frozen black bean burgers, plus they are cheaper!

Yasmin April 22, 2009 at 7:57 am

Great recipe but I know I would butcher it somehow!

ksgoodeats April 22, 2009 at 9:00 am

What a fantastic dinner!! I’ll have to test it out – your recipes haven’t failed me before :)

Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 22, 2009 at 9:50 am

Looks delicious! I’ve been putting off making these, too, but I think you’ve inspired me ;)

cakeswithheart April 22, 2009 at 10:10 am

Yum. Those bean burgers look awesome! I love making homemade veggie burgers, and they are so much cheaper and tastier too!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 22, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Yum, that looks good!

Alison April 22, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Great looking recipe! I made bean burgers once. They were good, but nothing special. I think your recipe would be much tastier.

jessy April 22, 2009 at 5:54 pm

black bean burger success! wahooooooooooooo, Brittany!!! dan & i will have to try this recipe – your burgers look absolutely perfect! i’m so superexcitedfaced that you made your own! you better believe i’m look’n forward to many more bean burger creations! mmmmmmmmm!

Molly September 14, 2009 at 11:00 am

Brittany…..I finally made these burgers and they are awesome!!! Very delicious, very easy to make and very easy to have ready made for any time you want one.
Can’t wait to try something else!
Molly

Michelle January 15, 2010 at 12:19 am

I just made these tonight and they are AWESOME! I made a huge post about them. Thanks for the great recipe, Brittany!

a cain January 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I was hesitant to make this as I am a true carnivore and really doubted this would be a beef hamburger substitute. However, being that my New Year’s resolution is in full swing I decided to give it a try. WOW delicious!! Even my 1 year old gobbled these things up like I’ve never seen before. It will be in my regular food rotation. YUM! I also made as a side dish your raw corn and avocado salad (again, I thought, raw corn?? really??) but I went ahead and it was perfect. I’m munching on left overs right now.
THANKS!! Great blog!!

Eating Bird Food January 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Hi a cain,

This comment made my day!! I’m so happy you enjoyed both the bean burgers and corn salad. Everyone always gives the corn and avocado salad weird looks, then they try it and keep coming back for more. :)

I hope you’ll try some other recipes as well!! :)

Mary June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Help! I’m vegan and a really lousy cook, so my diet is quite boring. What can I use in place of the egg?

Eating Bird Food June 27, 2011 at 10:48 pm

You can use a flax egg: mix 1 tbsp GROUND flax seeds to 3 tbsp hot water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it looks egg-y enough.

Dawn January 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Super find! Thanks for sharing…
I wii visit often.

randi May 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

finally an easy black bean burger that works! for some reason all my recipes never come out right and they always fall apart. these were so simple and delish. making a double batch next time…and they were so tasty in the collards : )

erin May 12, 2012 at 8:04 am

So we had a combination of this recipe, your black bean and sweet potato burgers and my own additions burgers last night. SO AMAZING!! I added some raw bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms to the food processor and oat bran at the end for texture and they rocked our world. my husband downed 2 big ones within 5 minutes:) thanks for the scrumptious recipe:)

Kelsey August 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Just tried this recipe last night and it was delicious!!! Do you know what the nutritional facts are per patty?

Laura August 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

So easy and delicious. Even my husband loved them, and he is not very familiar with vegetarian foods! He took the leftovers to work for lunch!