Frozen Banana Snickers
Published May 22, 2023, Updated Jul 17, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Bananas are coated in a layer of peanut butter and date caramel then topped with chocolate and chopped peanuts to make these healthy frozen banana snickers. They’re the perfect refreshing summer treat! Vegan, dairy-free + gluten-free.
If you’re a fan of of my chocolate peanut butter banana bites and snickers candy bars then you’re going to love these frozen banana snickers!
They taste like a snickers ice cream bar, but are better and healthier! Plus, they take less than 10 minutes to whip up… the hardest part is waiting for them to harden in the freezer.
You’re going to love having this healthy treat on hand in your freezer all summer long. PS: I highly recommend doubling or tripling this recipe because they go fast!
And for all my parents out there, this is the perfect recipe to make with your kiddos if you are looking for a fun way to bring them into the kitchen with you this summer.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They taste like a Snickers ice cream bar but are made with healthier ingredients.
- They’re the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
- You only need 6 simple ingredients!
- Kid-friendly and adult-approved.
- This healthy snack can easily be customized.
- Super easy to make! The hardest part is waiting for them to set in the freezer.
- banana – this is the base of our snickers and what gives it that creamy, ice cream texture once frozen. Use semi-ripe bananas for this recipe. You don’t want them to be too ripe otherwise they’ll be too soft.
- date caramel sauce – definitely what takes these snickers to the next level! The homemade date caramel sauce is a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional caramel, made with only 4 simple ingredients: medjool dates, vanilla, salt and almond milk.
- peanut butter – can’t have snickers bars without the peanut butter! Look for a natural creamy peanut butter that’s made with only 1 or 2 ingredients (peanuts and salt). Some of my go-to brands of peanut butter are Whole Food’s 365 and Wild Friends (use EBF10 for 10% off your order). Feel free to swap the peanut butter with another nut or seed butter of choice like almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- chopped peanuts – for some added crunch! Feel free to use raw or roasted peanuts for this recipe.
- chocolate coating – we’re melting chocolate chips with a little coconut oil to thin it out and help the chocolate to drizzle over the bars easier. I love Lily’s dark chocolate chips for a low-sugar option and Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a dairy-free/soy-free option.
How to Make
Cut banana: Slice a banana in half and then split it down the middle so you have four sections.
Top banana: Place banana chunks on a baking tray or plate lined with parchment paper. Spread a layer of the date caramel mixture followed by a layer of peanut butter on the banana pieces. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Melt chocolate: Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second increments until melted. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Drizzle melted chocolate over banana slices. Place in freezer for 1-2 hours or overnight to harden. Enjoy!
Date Caramel Sauce
The homemade date caramel sauce is definitely the star of this recipe if you ask me! It’s too good to resist. And I love that it’s made with real food and simple ingredients. Added bonus, there’s no heavy cream or butter involved so this caramel is dairy-free and vegan.
This caramel sauce still has sugar, but I love that the dates are able to provide the rich sweet caramel flavor along with fiber and a host of other vitamins and minerals. Medjool dates are a great source of potassium, copper, magnesium, vitamin B6, niacin, calcium, iron and vitamin K.
These healthy frozen banana snickers can be easily customized to your liking, so feel free to get creative! Here are some ideas:
- Nut butter: Swap the peanut butter with almond butter, cashew butter, tahini or sunflower seed butter for a different flavor.
- Dried fruit: Add a sprinkle of shredded coconut or crushed freeze-dried fruit on top of the bananas for an extra burst of flavor and texture.
- Nuts: Swap the peanuts with chopped almonds, cashews, pecans or walnuts. You could also use seeds like sunflower seeds, pepitas or hemp seeds.
- Chocolate: Replace the dark chocolate chips with white chocolate or even butterscotch chips for a unique flavor!
How to Store
Store these frozen banana snickers in an airtight container or a sealed zip-top bag in the freezer. They should last a least 1-2 months in the freezer.
When you store these banana snickers for a longer period of time, they can get pretty hard so you’ll want to take them out the freezer and let them thaw for about 5 minutes before eating.
More Frozen Treats to Try
- Frozen Cottage Cheese Bark
- Chocolate Strawberry Banana Yogurt Clusters
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Frozen Banana Bites
- 2-Ingredient Banana Frozen Yogurt
- Chocolate Covered Banana Pops
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Protein Ice Cream
- Frozen Yogurt Bark with Berries
- Frozen Cottage Cheese Bark
- Greek Yogurt Popsicles
- One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream
- Chocolate Covered Frozen Raspberries
Be sure to check out the full collection of dessert recipes on EBF!
Frozen Banana Snickers
- Slice banana in half and then split down the middle so you have four sections. Add to a parchment lined baking sheet or dish.
- Spread a layer of the date caramel sauce on top of the banana slices.
- Then spread on a layer of peanut butter.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl in 15 second increments, stirring in between until melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over banana slices. Place in freezer for 1-2 hours or overnight to harden. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.