These chocolate almond crispy bites are dangerously good and made with only 5 ingredients. Perfect for kids (and adults), plus they’re vegan and gluten-free.
The idea for this post started with a recipe my mother-in-law shared with me years ago. Making them a few weekends ago reminded me just how good they are and I decided to test out a new version of the recipe using a little less sweetener. This ended up being a longer process than expected. I think Maria and I tested the recipe at least six times before I finally felt happy sharing the recipe. That said, it’s perfect now and I’m excited to share it.
If you like the texture of rice krispie treats, chocolate and almonds… you’ll love this healthier version made with chocolate brown rice crispy cereal and almond butter.
I used chocolate brown rice crisp cereal, which you can find at most natural food stores, and brown rice syrup, which is a thick sweetener made from rice. This syrup is extra sticky so the mixture holds together well and it also keeps the bites vegan. If you’re not vegan, you can try using raw honey, which is thicker and stickier than regular honey, and should work well.I’ve shared these healthier rice crispy balls with tons of our friends and family and everyone loves them — adults and kids alike. I have a feeling you’re going to love them too. Enjoy!Print
An easy 5 ingredient treat with crispy brown rice cereal, almond butter and brown rice syrup.
- 2/3 cup almond butter (runny almond butter from a fresh jar works best)*
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 cups chocolate brown rice crispy cereal (like Nature’s Path Koala Crisp)
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/8 cup cacao nibs or mini vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Pour almond butter and brown rice syrup into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cereal, almonds and cacao nibs/chocolate chips if using. Stir to coat evenly. It may take a few minutes and using your hands can be helpful. If the mixture doesn’t seem to be sticking together well you can add additional brown rice syrup (one tablespoon at a time).
- Place mixing bowl in the fridge to allow the mixture to setup for 5-10 minutes. Using your hands, grab 1-2 Tablespoons worth of the mixture and roll into balls. If you’re having trouble, try using wet hands to roll the bites. Place bites on parchment paper. Transfer bites to the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 bite
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: crispy treat bites
Want to try a non-chocolate version? Try these healthy brown rice crispy treats.