Chocolate Almond Crispy Bites
Published Apr 14, 2017, Updated Jun 18, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These chocolate almond crispy bites are dangerously good and made with only 5 ingredients. Perfect for kids (and adults), plus they’re vegan and gluten-free.
The idea for this post started with a recipe my mother-in-law shared with me years ago. Making them a few weekends ago reminded me just how good they are and I decided to test out a new version of the recipe using a little less sweetener. This ended up being a longer process than expected. I think Maria and I tested the recipe at least six times before I finally felt happy sharing the recipe. That said, it’s perfect now and I’m excited to share it with you.
If you like the texture of Rice Krispie treats, chocolate and almonds… you’ll love this healthier version made with chocolate brown rice crispy cereal and almond butter.
Want to try a non-chocolate version? Try these brown rice crispy treats.
What is Brown Rice Syrup?
Brown rice syrup is a vegan and gluten-free thick liquid sugar substitute derived from brown rice. It is mildly sweet, especially when compared to corn syrup, honey, agave and other liquid sweeteners. Additionally, it has a bit of a nutty flavor profile that other natural sweeteners do not have.
Here’s What You Need
- almond butter – runny almond butter from a fresh jar works best. Look for a brand with just two ingredients – nuts and salt. You don’t need the extra oil or sugar. Any drippy nut butter works if you prefer something different!
- brown rice syrup – this extra sticky syrup holds these bites together well. I use Lundburg’s organic sweet dreams brown rice syrup.
- chocolate brown rice crispy cereal – you can find chocolate brown rice crispy cereal at most natural food stores. Nature’s Path Koala Crisp is another brand you can try.
- almonds – chopped almonds add a boost of almond flavor and extra crunch.
- cacao nibs – totally optional but they give an extra boost of that chocolatey flavor we’re going for! Mini vegan chocolate chips work as well.
If you’re not vegan, you can try using raw honey, which is thicker and stickier than regular honey and should work well.
How to Make Chocolate Almond Crispy Bites
Your hands might get a little sticky, but these are so much fun to make and a great option to make with your kiddos!
Stir Wet ingredients – First, you’ll pour almond butter and brown rice syrup into a bowl and stir to combine.
Mix Remaining Ingredients – Next, add the cereal, almonds and cacao nibs/chocolate chips (if using). Stir to combine and coat evenly. It may take a few minutes and using your hands can be helpful. If the mixture doesn’t seem to be sticking together well you can add additional brown rice syrup – add one tablespoon at a time to avoid adding too much.
Set Mixture – When evenly coated, place the mixing bowl in the fridge to allow the mixture to set up for about 5-10 minutes.
Form Bites – Here’s the fun part! Using your hands, grab 1-2 Tablespoons worth of the mixture and roll into balls. If you’re having trouble, try using wet hands to roll the bites. Place bites on parchment paper. Transfer bites to the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!
I’ve shared these healthier rice crispy balls with tons of our friends and family and everyone loves them – adults and kids alike. I have a feeling you’re going to love them too. Enjoy!
How to Store
You can store any leftover chocolate almond crispy bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, though I doubt they’ll last that long!
Try These Other Bites
- No Bake SunButter Energy Bites
- German Chocolate Energy Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Sweet Potato Brownie Bites
Chocolate Almond Crispy Bites
- ⅔ cup almond butter, runny almond butter from a fresh jar works best*
- ⅓ cup brown rice syrup
- 3 cups chocolate brown rice crispy cereal
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- ⅛ cup cacao nibs or mini vegan chocolate chips, optional
- Pour almond butter and brown rice syrup into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cereal, almonds and cacao nibs/chocolate chips if using. Stir to coat evenly. It may take a few minutes and using your hands can be helpful. If the mixture doesn’t seem to be sticking together well you can add additional brown rice syrup (one tablespoon at a time).
- Place mixing bowl in the fridge to allow the mixture to set up for 5-10 minutes.
- Using your hands, grab 1-2 Tablespoons worth of the mixture and roll into balls. If you're having trouble, try using wet hands to roll the bites. Place bites on parchment paper. Transfer bites to the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Swap out the almond butter for your favorite nut butter, just make sure it’s drippy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.