I have a special treat for you all today. An incredibly delicious, healthy treat – in cookie form!
As it turns out, no bake cookies come in handy while you’re without power due to a hurricane. Trust me on this one.
- 1 cup raw or unsalted roasted almonds
- 1 cup (about 10) medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1.5 Tablespoon cacaos nibs (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the almonds in a food processor or mini chopper and pulse until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the dates, almond butter, vanilla and salt.
- Pulse for a couple minutes until it forms a dough.
- Stir in cacao nibs, if using. You can use your hands to knead in the cacao nibs as the dough is thick.
- Shape about 1 tablespoon of dough into a round cookie shape and place on parchment paper.
- Enjoy right away or place the cookies into the fridge for storage.
To add a some chocolate flavor and crunch I added these tasty cacao nibs to the dough.
The cookies are very tasty with or without the cacao nibs so don’t let this ingredient deter you from trying them. And, here’s a little info on cacao, both the nibs and the powder.
If you try the recipe, I’m sure you’ll enjoy these little cookies as much as we did! Notice the past tense here. Yes, the cookies were pretty much devoured this weekend…
I hope everyone who was affected by hurricane Irene is safe and sound! Richmond had quite a bit of damage from the winds and we were without power overnight on Saturday, but otherwise we are okay.
Last but not least, check out my guest post over at Running with Tongs where I share one of my all-time favorite vegan recipes.