More pumpkin… are you surprised?
If you like the thought of a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks but would rather skip the extra calories and sugar, you are going to love the homemade version I’m featuring today. It’s crazy to me that even the smallest size (a tall) non-fat, no whip PSL from Starbucks has 200 calories and 37 grams of sugar! The sugary syrup is the culprit. It contains sugar, condensed nonfat milk, sweet condensed nonfat milk and a few other ingredients including coloring and artificial flavors. It’s also goo to know this incase you are vegan considering even if you order a soy latte without the whipped cream, it’s not vegan since the syrup has dairy.
I’m all about keeping my food/beverages as natural as possible, which is why I love homemade version. If I do, on a rare occasion, order a PSL from Starbucks I usually get a tall soy latte or soy misto (coffee with steamed soy milk) and have them add 1 pump of the pumpkin syrup. I think they usually use 3-4 pumps in a tall latte so this cuts down the sugar A TON and it still have the pumpkin flavor that I enjoy. Definitely a treat.
On the other hand, I can have this homemade PSL any day of the week because it contains all natural ingredients, no added sugar and a low amount of calories. The best part = it doesn’t cost $4.00 a pop.
- 8 ounces brewed coffee (or 1-2 shots of espresso)
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 drops of liquid stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- In a cup or sauce pan, mix together almond milk and pumpkin. Cook on medium heat on the stove top or microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, spices and sweetener, place in a cup and use a frother to foam the milk. You can also use a blender – just process for 30 seconds or until foamy.
- Pour coffee into a large mug, add the foamy milk mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
I used cold-brewed Pumpkin Spice coffee from Fresh Market, which tasted divine, but you can certainly use any flavor coffee you love.
And this is where the magic happens! The mini frother does such a good job at making foamy milk without a milk steamer.
Time to drink up!
You might find some pumpkin pulp at the bottom of your glass and that’s totally normal. Starbucks would have it too – if they were using natural ingredients and not syrup.
I’m actually feeling a bit under the weather this morning. I woke up yesterday with a cough and sore throat and went to the doctor. They gave me some medicine but also realized I hadn’t had a tetanus shot in years and decided it would be a good idea. Ugh! So…esterday afternoon wasn’t horrible but I woke up this morning with nasty cough, sore throat and a throbbing arm. The nurse told me that my arm would feel like someone had punched me. That would have been helpful except for the fact that I’ve never been punched before. I guess I know what it feels like now. OUCH!