You’ll love the flavor of this protein-packed vegan tofu scramble seasoned with turmeric, cumin and nutritional yeast. Serve with sliced avocado and toast for a delicious breakfast!
I love a good scramble and my first experience with scrambled tofu was at a local café here in Richmond. The café has since closed, which is a shame, but I still remember that breakfast wrap. I loved the flavor of the tofu scramble and almost couldn’t tell that it wasn’t actual scrambled eggs. I’m honestly not sure if I waited until the next day or if I simply rushed home and tried my hand at making a tofu scramble that afternoon, but I remember being shocked by how easy it was.
Once you have the tofu crumbled into bite-size pieces, there’s nothing more to do than season it while sautéing until it’s golden in color and warm. That’s the beauty of tofu — it’s already cooked and it takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with. For this scramble we’re using turmeric, which has anti-inflammatory properties and gives the tofu a lovely yellow color. There’s also cumin, sea salt, ground pepper, which helps with the absorption of turmeric, and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheesy flavor that makes this scramble absolutely delish so don’t skip it!
For the veggies, I like tossing in minced garlic, onions, mushrooms and some sort of green like shredded kale or baby spinach. Of course, you can use whatever veggies you have on hand.
The texture of this tofu scramble is super similar to scrambled eggs and has a ton of protein, which makes it an excellent option for breakfast. That said, I like to eat scrambles for lunch and dinner too!
This vegan tofu scramble is packed with flavor, has a great texture and easily lends itself to any additional veggies or spices you’d like to add in! Delicious served with sliced avocado and toast.
- 16 oz firm or extra firm tofu, pressed or drained
- 2 teaspoons avocado or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons water, if needed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded kale or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and use your fingers to crumble the tofu into chunks before tossing it into the pan as well. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the tofu starts to stick or the pan becomes dry, you can add a little water to the pan.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Then add the kale and nutritional yeast. Stir and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Taste and season with additional black pepper and sea salt, if needed. Serve the scramble warm with sliced avocado and fresh herbs. I like cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 20g
PS — Tofu scramble makes a great vegan substitute in recipes that use scrambled eggs, like this egg and hummus breakfast wrap.
This recipe was originally posted in 2011, it has been updated with new photos and content as of January 2017.