This mattar tofu is a healthy, vegan version of an Indian food classic, mattar paneer. Tofu works perfectly as a sub for the paneer cheese and makes this dish dairy-free.
- 1 (14 oz) package organic extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bag (2 cups) frozen baby peas, thawed slightly
- fresh chopped cilantro, for topping (optional)
- rice or cauliflower rice, for serving
- Place onion, ginger, garlic and cayenne pepper into the container of a blender or food processor along with 1/3 cup water and blend until the mixture turns into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large sauté pan. Once hot add tofu cubes in a single layer and stir-fry until golden. This shouldn’t take very long. Once golden place tofu cubes onto a plate and set aside.
- Carefully add the contents of the blender into the same sauté pan you used for the tofu. Just be very careful with this part as the paste may splatter. Cook, stirring constantly until the paste turns a light brown color (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Stir and cook for a few minutes longer. Add in vegetable broth and peas, mix well and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Lift cover and add the tofu cubes. Simmer ten minutes or until tofu and peas are heated through. Top with a little cilantro and serve with brown, basmati, jasmine or cauliflower rice.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 17g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 36g
Keywords: mattar tofu, vegan mattar paneer