A flavorful vegetarian main featuring stir-fried tofu and crunchy fennel with an orange basil sauce. The best part? The whole dish comes together in less than 30 minutes!
This recipe is from waayy back in the day (like literally my first year of blogging). I’m not sure what reminded me of the recipe, but I randomly decided to make it again for dinner last week and it was just as good I remembered it. It also looked MUCH better than it did in the original photo, which is far from Pinterest-worthy.
Needless to say, I reshot the photos and now I’m reposting the recipe for ya. I figure I probably had about ten readers the first time I posted so the recipe will be nice for most of you. And it’s a good one! Not only is the tofu crispy and flavorful, but I love the use of fennel. <– Fennel is quickly becoming one of my favorite veggies to cook with.
The unique combo makes it great for switching things up if you’re bored with traditional stir-fry. Plus, the recipe comes together quickly so you can easily make it for dinner on a weeknight. Enjoy!Print
Stir-fried tofu and crunchy fennel with an orange basil sauce. Serve over brown rice or quinoa for a complete meal. Vegan + gluten-free.
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 fresh navel oranges, juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, chopped into thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 scallions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 10 whole fresh basil leaves, chopped
- crushed peanuts (optional)
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Combine tamari, orange zest, orange juice and hot red pepper flakes in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Once oil is hot, add tofu and cook (without disturbing cubes) until bottoms have browned, about 2-3 minutes. Turn tofu and cook another 2 minutes or until the bottom side has browned. Turn and continue cooking until cubes are golden on every side. Transfer tofu pieces to plate and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to your empty skillet and heat briefly. Add fennel and stir-fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return tofu to pan.
- Stir in reserved orange sauce and add basil. Cook only until the sauce coats the tofu and fennel, about 1 minute.
- Serve stir-fry over a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa. Squeeze a little extra orange juice over each serving and top with crushed peanuts, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/3 of recipe
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 22g