Easy Orange Tofu with Fennel and Basil
Published Dec 27, 2015, Updated Feb 15, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This tasty orange tofu dish pairs stir-fried tofu with crunchy fennel in an orange basil sauce. The best part? The whole dish comes together in less than 30 minutes!
This recipe is from waayy back in the day (like literally my first year of blogging). I’m not sure what reminded me of the recipe, but I randomly decided to make it again for dinner last week and it was just as good I remembered it.
The unique combo makes it great for switching things up if you’re bored with traditional stir-fry. Plus, the recipe comes together quickly so you can easily make it for dinner on a weeknight. Enjoy!
More Tofu Recipes
- 16 Tofu Recipes That You’ll Crave
- Asian Tofu Tacos
- Tofu Scramble
- Bok Choy Stir Fry with Tofu
- Tofu Pumpkin Curry
- Mattar Tofu
- Tofu Stir-Fry
- Baked Peanut Tofu
- Crispy Baked Tofu
- Vegan Chicken Salad
Orange Tofu with Fennel
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 fresh navel oranges, juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, chopped into thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 10 whole fresh basil leaves, chopped
- crushed peanuts, optional
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Combine tamari, orange zest, orange juice and hot red pepper flakes in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Once oil is hot, add tofu and cook (without disturbing cubes) until bottoms have browned, about 2-3 minutes. Turn tofu and cook another 2 minutes or until the bottom side has browned. Turn and continue cooking until cubes are golden on every side. Transfer tofu pieces to plate and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to your empty skillet and heat briefly. Add fennel and stir-fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return tofu to pan.
- Stir in reserved orange sauce and add basil. Cook only until the sauce coats the tofu and fennel, about 1 minute.
- Serve stir-fry over a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa. Squeeze a little extra orange juice over each serving and top with crushed peanuts, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Sounds delicious! Look forward to trying this.
I’ve never cooking with fennel before! I love all the flavors here. Sounds like a great dinner option!