Stir-fried tofu and crunchy fennel with an orange basil sauce. Serve over brown rice or quinoa for a complete meal. Vegan + gluten-free.
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 fresh navel oranges, juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, chopped into thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 scallions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 10 whole fresh basil leaves, chopped
- crushed peanuts (optional)
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Combine tamari, orange zest, orange juice and hot red pepper flakes in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Once oil is hot, add tofu and cook (without disturbing cubes) until bottoms have browned, about 2-3 minutes. Turn tofu and cook another 2 minutes or until the bottom side has browned. Turn and continue cooking until cubes are golden on every side. Transfer tofu pieces to plate and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to your empty skillet and heat briefly. Add fennel and stir-fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return tofu to pan.
- Stir in reserved orange sauce and add basil. Cook only until the sauce coats the tofu and fennel, about 1 minute.
- Serve stir-fry over a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa. Squeeze a little extra orange juice over each serving and top with crushed peanuts, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/3 of recipe
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 22g