Simple Tofu Scramble
Published Jan 16, 2017, Updated Sep 16, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
You’ll love the flavor of this protein-packed vegan tofu scramble seasoned with turmeric, cumin and nutritional yeast. Serve with sliced avocado and toast for a delicious breakfast!
I love a good scramble and my first experience with scrambled tofu was at a local café here in Richmond. The café has since closed, which is a shame, but I still remember that breakfast wrap. I loved the flavor of the tofu scramble and almost couldn’t tell that it wasn’t actual scrambled eggs.
I’m honestly not sure if I waited until the next day or if I simply rushed home and tried my hand at making a tofu scramble that afternoon, but I remember being shocked by how easy it was.
How to Make a Tofu Scramble
Step one involves draining and pressing your tofu. After press to remove as much liquid as possible, you’ll crumble the tofu into bite-size pieces.
Once tofu has been crumbled, there’s nothing more to do than season it while sautéing until it’s golden in color and warm.
That’s the beauty of tofu — it’s already cooked and it takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with. For this scramble we’re using turmeric, which has anti-inflammatory properties and gives the tofu a lovely yellow color. There’s also cumin, sea salt, ground pepper, which helps with the absorption of turmeric, and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheesy flavor that makes this scramble absolutely delish so don’t skip it!
What Does Tofu Taste Like?
The texture of this tofu scramble is super similar to scrambled eggs and has a ton of protein, which makes it an excellent option for breakfast. That said, I like to eat scrambles for lunch and dinner too!
What to Pair with Scrambled Tofu
You can pair scrambled tofu with anything you’d pair with scrambled eggs. For this recipe I add some veggies to the scramble — minced garlic, onions, mushrooms and baby spinach. Of course, you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. I topped the scrambled tofu with avocado and hot sauce (my fave toppings for any scramble) and paired it with two slices of toast for a delicious and easy breakfast.
Tofu scramble makes a great vegan substitute in recipes that use scrambled eggs, like this egg and hummus breakfast wrap.
More Tofu Recipes
- 16 Tofu Recipes That You’ll Crave
- Crispy Baked Tofu
- Asian Tofu Tacos
- Orange Tofu
- Bok Choy Stir Fry with Tofu
- Tofu Pumpkin Curry
- Mattar Tofu
- Tofu Stir-Fry
- Baked Peanut Tofu
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- 16 oz firm or extra firm tofu, pressed or drained
- 2 teaspoons avocado or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons water, if needed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded kale or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and use your fingers to crumble the tofu into chunks before tossing it into the pan as well. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the tofu starts to stick or the pan becomes dry, you can add a little water to the pan.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Then add the kale and nutritional yeast. Stir and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Taste and season with additional black pepper and sea salt, if needed. Serve the scramble warm with sliced avocado and fresh herbs. I like cilantro.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.