Published Apr 28, 2021, Updated Dec 02, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This skinny margarita is low in calories, sugar and carbs, but still absolutely delicious. It’s made with fresh juice and has no added sugar!
With summer right around the corner, I wanted to share one of my favorite cocktail recipes (besides my skinny paloma)… a skinny margarita!
If you think margaritas are sugar-laden drinks that make your stomach turn, think again! This skinny cocktail is made with just a few quality ingredients (no added sugar!) and is super light and refreshing.
What Makes it Skinny?
A skinny margarita is a healthier version of a traditional margarita. It’s typically low-calorie and lower in sugar than a regular margarita.
My version uses fresh orange juice instead of sugar-filled Triple Sec and fresh lime juice for the zing that margarita mixes usually bring (without all the added sugar).
A typical blended margarita at a restaurant can be upwards of 500 calories and lord knows how much sugar… this version is way lighter with around 130 calories and 3 grams of sugar!
Skinny Margarita Ingredients
You only need five simple ingredients for this skinny marg:
- tequila – I prefer blanco tequila, but any high quality tequila works. Skip the cheap stuff. Because we’re keeping this recipe really simple and not using a ton of sugar to mask the flavor, you want a tequila that actually tastes good.
- fresh squeezed lime juice – make sure you’re using fresh squeezed lime juice. The bottled stuff just isn’t the same and often times has added sugar.
- fresh squeezed orange juice – we’re using fresh squeezed orange juice in place of Triple Sec – it adds orange flavor without the added sugar and adds a hint of natural sweetener to the marg.
- stevia – stevia sweetens and balances the margarita without adding calories or sugar with simple syrup or agave nectar! You can also use monkfruit sweetener. I like Wholesome stevia.
- soda water – this adds a little bubbly action to the marg and helps lighten it up.
- lime wedge – for garnish.
- ice – necessary for a refreshing cocktail!
What Kind of Tequila is Best?
Blanco tequila is considered the cleanest tequila as it is made from 100% agave. Resposado tequilas typically include other types of sugars. Of course, it comes down to personal preference and any type of tequila would work!
Because the ingredients in this margarita are so minimal, the tequila really shines through so make sure you’re using a high quality tequila… aka not the cheapest tequila on the shelf!
Skinny Margarita Ratio
There’s a simple ratio for this margarita: 2:1:1. Two parts tequila, one part lime juice, one part orange juice!
Want to get fancy and add in some extra ingredients? Go for it! I’m sharing my favorite variations below.
How to Make For a Crowd
I can’t remember where I learned this fancy trick but when making cocktails for a crowd you can switch the ounces for cups. So for this recipe, mix 2 cups tequila with 1 cup lime juice and 1 cup orange juice! Of course, you can multiply that as needed but it’s a simple conversion that’s stuck with me!
For stevia, you’ll likely need around 4 packets, but add a little at a time and give it a taste. And for the club soda, just add a splash to each margarita right before serving.
I love coming up with margarita variations. Think of this recipe as a “base” recipe and have fun with it! Here are some ideas:
- Jalapeño margarita – muddle a few slices of jalapeño pepper in the bottom of the glass before mixing the rest of the ingredients for a spicy kick.
- Mango margarita – in place of orange juice, try mango juice. Add a little jalapeño or habanero pepper for a spicy, mango drink!
- Strawberry margarita – muddle a few strawberries in the bottom of the glass before mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
Food Pairing Suggestions
Possibly the best part about having margaritas? The food that pairs with them! Here is what I would serve with margs:
- Tempeh Tacos with Tempeh Taco “Meat” – vegan tacos that will hit the spot!
- Grilled Fish Tacos – my take on fish tacos… so good!
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas – a simple one-pan dinner.
- Mexican Street Corn Salad or Mexican Street Corn Kale Salad – two of my favorite recipes for summer!
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail – the perfect appetizer to enjoy with margs.
- Easy Pineapple Salsa and Healthy Guacamole with Frozen Peas with tortilla chips. The perfect snack to pair with a skinny margarita
More Cocktail Recipes to Try
- Vodka Soda
- Skinny Coconut Daiquiri
- Skinny Paloma
- Sparkling Vodka Cranberry with Lime
- Strawberry Frosé
- Skinny Piña Colada
- Blackberry Cucumber Skinny Mojito
- Apple Cider Mimosas
- How to Make Perfect Mimosas
Be sure to check out the full collection of cocktail recipes here on EBF!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 packet stevia, I used Wholesome organic stevia
- 1-2 ounces club soda or lime sparkling water
- 1 lime wedge, garnish
- Shake: In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and stevia. Shake until chilled — about 30 seconds.
- Strain and pour: Strain into a glass filled with ice and garnish with a lime/orange wedge. Top with 1-2 ounces of club soda.
- Salted rim: To rim the glass, fill a small bowl with water and another small bowl with coarse salt. Dip the edge of the glass (about 1/4”) into the water followed by the salt. Set it aside until ready to use.
- No stevia: If you prefer a sweeter margarita or don’t want to use stevia, add agave or simple syrup to taste. You can also use monkfruit sweetener.
- For a crowd: To make a pitcher, use 2 cups of tequila, 1 cup fresh lime juice, 1 cup orange juice and about 4 packets of stevia. Combine all of the ingredients and store in the fridge until ready to use. Shake with ice immediately before serving. Pour into a glass and top with club soda.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.