The most amazing vegan broccoli raisin salad made with a rich and creamy cashew dressing instead of mayo. This salad is a total crowd-pleaser and perfect for summer parties!
Like many of the recipes you’ll find here on EBF, this one is inspired by my mom. She used to make broccoli salad all the time when I was growing up. Her version was sweet, crunchy and a staple dish at all of our summer cookouts. I loved that salad and used to request it frequently. Alas, said salad is like most southern “salads” and has a good amount of mayo, 1/2 cup of sugar and bacon…
I decided to try my hand at a healthy version of this old favorite — one that still has the crunchy, sweet vibe, but healthier without the added sugar, dairy and meat.
My broccoli raisin salad is crunchy, rich in flavor and sweet, but with much healthier ingredients like raw nuts, seeds and raisins. I even managed to sneak uber-healthy apple cider vinegar into the dressing! I think I’ll take it to my next family cookout and see if my version stacks up to mom’s.
Vegan Broccoli Raisin Salad
- 6 cups broccoli (two small to medium sized crowns), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Mix together broccoli, raisins, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a high powered blender or processor until completely smooth.
- Top with dressing and combine until all ingredients are covered. Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge a bit before serving.
Have a great day. If you’re on the east coast, enjoy the beautiful weather! The high is supposed to be in the mid-80’s here today, just like yesterday. I’m loving it!!
PS- Did anyone catch Modern Family last night? We missed it so we’ll probably watch it tomorrow, but I know it’s about Cam and his ex-clown partner so I’m excited.