Make yourself this crazy delicious vegan brown rice bowl with roasted sweet potatoes, kale and chickpeas all coated in a savory peanut sauce. 18 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber per bowl!
I can’t believe that I forgot to post this little gem earlier in the week because it’s one of the best dinners I’ve made in a while.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE THIS BROWN RICE BOWL:
And it’s awesome because it’s one of those meals that comes together so quickly if you prep your ingredients ahead of time. The funny thing is that I wasn’t planning on creating a recipe. I simply got hungry while meal prepping last weekend, tossed a bunch of things I’d prepped in a bowl and this little meal was created.
As it turns out the brown rice bowl was absolutely delicious — I loved it so much I ended up having the same meal for lunch and dinner the next day. You never know what a night of meal prepping will bring to fruition.
Here’s how the brown rice bowl comes together:
Brown rice: Make a big batch on the stove for the week or keep it simple and buy frozen brown rice. Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and Kroger all see frozen options that cook up in less than 10 mins. You can use cauliflower rice if you’d like a grain-free option. I ended up using a brown rice and quinoa blend.
Chickpeas: Cook your own or use canned if you’re in a rush. I cooked a big batch of chickpeas in my pressure cooker, which only took only 11 minutes.
Sweet potatoes: Chop 1 large sweet potato into 1/4 inch chunks, drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Bake at 400° F for 30 minutes. This step can be done ahead of time. Check out my coconut oil roasted sweet potatoes if you want to make a larger batch of sweet potatoes as part of your meal prep.
Kale: De-stem, wash and chop kale. Then steam in a steamer basket for 3-5 mins or until tender. You can also blanch or sauté the kale if you’d rather.
Peanut sauce: Simply put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend. Then add as much water as necessary to make the consistency that you like. The recipe makes about 3/4 cup so you’ll have plenty to store in the fridge for later. (It tastes good on everything!)
What we LOVE about this brown rice bowl is that it is sooo easy and versatile. You could totally add or switch up ingredients and it would still taste lovely. Although, I must say that the blend of kale, chickpeas, sweet potatoes and peanut sauce is amazing and makes for a lovely, protein-packed plant-based meal!
I might even suggest playing a little with it. I have a page of the other Healthy Homemade Salad Dressings.Print
This delicious meal combines roasted sweet potatoes, kale, chickpeas and brown rice for the ultimate meal-prep bowl. Everything can be prepped ahead of time to make assembly a breeze. Serve warm or at room-temp.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or quinoa)
- 2 cups steamed kale
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups roasted sweet potato chunks
Creamy Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- water, to thin
- Roast sweet potatoes if you haven’t already. Chop 1 large sweet potato into 1/4 inch chunks, drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Bake at 400° F for 30 minutes. This step is best done ahead of time.
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions while sweet potatoes are roasting.
- Prepare kale by washing, de-stemming and chopping. Then steam in a steamer basket for 3-5 mins or until tender. You can blanch or sauté the kale if you’d rather.
- Make peanut sauce by blending all the sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add water to thin sauce and create desired consistency.
- Once all ingredients are prepped, grab two bowls and evenly distribute brown rice, kale, chickpeas and sweet potato chunks between both.
- Drizzle each with as much peanut sauce as you’d like. Serve warm or at room-temp.
Everything in this bowl can be made 2-3 days in advance. Just reheat the rice, kale and sweet potato chunks before serving. Toss with chickpeas and peanut sauce and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl with 2 Tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 603
- Sugar: 23
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 111g
- Fiber: 20g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: brown rice bowl