Golden Milk Smoothie
Published Apr 10, 2018, Updated Dec 01, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This golden milk smoothie with fresh turmeric, ginger and mango is the perfect way to refuel after a workout. It has the protein and carbs your body needs along with anti-inflammation properties to help your body recover. This post is sponsored by Kroger.
Does this smoothie not scream spring? The bright sunny color and the flavors. And it’s so refreshing and healing for a post workout snack!
In case you missed it, I’m running a 10K race on April 14th…yes this Saturday. Eek! I honestly can’t believe it’s already here. I’m feeling excited and also really hoping the weather cooperates. (Be sure to check out my posts on sticking to my resolutions and my training plan for this race if you missed them.)
This golden milk smoothie was thought up during one of my runs. I was in the middle of a long run and was craving something light and refreshing, but wanted it to actually benefit my body too. I love golden milk lattes but don’t always crave the hot drink… so that’s where this smoothie comes in!
This smoothie will be helping me recover from my last few training runs and will definitely be on the menu for a post-race recovery. I hope you love it as well.
- mango – nothing compares to the flavor of fresh mango, but I like using frozen in this recipe because it gives the smoothie the perfect texture. Mangos are a great source of carbohydrates and antioxidants. Mango is also known to reduce inflammation which is also super helpful after a workout.
- banana – frozen banana is the key to making smoothies with a creamy, thick texture. Just be sure to freeze your banana (unpeeled) before you want to make this smoothie.
- Greek yogurt – adding a little yogurt boosts the protein and makes this smoothie more filling.
- milk – I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but any milk will do.
- turmeric – an anti-inflammatory powerhouse that compares to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents, as well as, some prescription medications. It has also been shown to help with joint pain and joint swelling which I can sometimes feel in my knees after a long run!
- ginger – one of my favorite flavors and has a ton of health benefits. It helps with muscle pain and soreness and is anti-inflammatory (see a theme here?!). A must in my post-workout smoothie recipe!
- cinnamon – this sweet spice is not only a powerful antioxidant, but it also contains anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties.
- black pepper – I know this seems like a random ingredient in this smoothie, but it’s an important one! A chemical in black pepper helps the body absorb the key substance in turmeric. So consuming black pepper and turmeric together helps you get alllll the goods!
Notes & Substitutions:
Dairy-free – You can use non-dairy yogurt or sub in a plant-based protein powder if you want to keep it dairy free!
Pineapple – not a fan of mango? Feel free to sub mango for pineapple or you can do a mix of both. Pineapple is rich with the enzyme bromelain, which aids in the digestion of protein and can help curb inflammation. It’s also packed with vitamin C, an important antioxidant for tissue growth and healing.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes:
- Easy Blackberry Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Health Nut Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate Peppermint Smoothie
Love Mango? More Mango Recipes:
- Mango Jicama Slaw (Trader Joe’s Copycat Recipe)
- Coconut Mango Chia Pudding
- Mango Curry Trail Mix
- Mango Avocado Smoothie
Golden Milk Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ frozen banana
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, use a dairy-free substitute if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 Tablespoon peeled and grated fresh turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/2 Tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or your favorite milk
- pinch of black pepper
- Blend: Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve: Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately after making.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.