So you’ve already heard all about the amazing food at Rancho La Puerta… now it’s time to experience it for yourself with this recipe.
There were seriously soooo many delicious breakfast options to choose from while staying at the Ranch but one of my absolute favorites was the Ranch Muesli.
It makes sense considering I’m a huge fan of oatmeal, dried fruit and sweet breakfast options. Plus let’s be real here, muesli is just a fancy name for overnight oats and overnight oats are the simply the best. Especially when it’s blazing hot outside.
This dish is great for anyone that loves eating oatmeal but doesn’t want to eat a steamy, hot bowl of oats during the summer months. Because who’s craving hot oats when it’s 90° out? Not me.
I love the Ranch’s muesli because it has some of my favorite oatmeal toppings — apples, coconut, dried fruit (raisins) and almonds, as well as a splash of lemon juice, which adds a little bit of acid to the mix and keeps the apples from turning brown.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can prep the oats the night before — just add a little water or milk and let them soak overnight. You add your toppings in the morning, give it a good stir and you’re ready to dig in to a filling energy packed breakfast. Then it’s time to do 3 workouts, a mediation class and get a massage… oh wait, just because I’m eating a Ranch breakfast doesn’t mean I’m actually at the Ranch. Bummer! 😉Print
Adapted from Sunset’s Ranch Breakfast Muesli.
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup water or milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 firm apple, such as Granny Smith or Fuji
- 2 Tablespoons toasted or raw unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons raisins or dried currants
- 2 Tablespoons toasted or raw sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine oats with 3/4 cup water or milk. Chill for at least 2 hours and as long as overnight, then drain (oats will be fuller-textured than when short-soaked).
- Put lemon juice in separate bowl. Chop or shred your apple and place pieces into the lemon juice; mix immediately.
- Stir apples, almonds, maple syrup, and shredded coconut into your soaked oats.
- Divide among 2 bowls. Serve with yogurt if you like or eat plain.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe (about 1 cup)
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 24g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g