Looking for a quick way to get back on track after an indulgent weekend of eating all.the.things? I have seven tips AND a one day ‘back on track’ meal plan that will have you feeling better in no time!
This blog idea came to me after my friends bachelorette party in Austin, Texas a few weeks ago. We had so much fun, but also indulged in so many margaritas and tacos. Cinco de Mayo + BFF Bachelorette is quite the combo! Again, it was an amazing time but I definitely indulged and didn’t feel too hot when I got back home.
I posted about this on my Instagram because I don’t think food guilt is talked about enough. It’s a real thing and it’s something that affects a lot of women — especially those of us who have a history of dieting, are currently trying to lose weight, or are health-focused. Through embracing intuitive eating, which was critical to healing myself from hypothalamic amenorrhea, I feel like I now have a really good relationship with food. I rarely feel guilty about what I eat, but occasionally the feelings creep back in.
Luckily these days I can recognize the negative feelings and choose to focus on the positive and move on rather than feeling like I have to restrict myself to reverse “the damage” I did. In reality, our bodies are amazing and can bounce back fairly quickly after a weekend out of your routine. It’s important to remember this — celebrations are a normal part of life and it’s totally okay to indulge… especially at your bestie’s bachelorette 😉
So, even though I was feeling a bit bloated and heavy, I knew there was no reason to feel guilty and that my body would balance out quickly. So instead of making any drastic changes after a weekend like this, I just stick to simple, healthy habits that make me feel my best. Back to basics!
With that said, if you’re looking for a game-plan for feeling better after an indulgent weekend my top tips are below I’ve also created a FREE one day sample meal plan to help you get back to feeling your best. Just fill out your name and email address below and it will be delivered to your inbox.
Top Tips for Feeling Better After an Indulgent Weekend
1. Drink water! This is my #1 tip and should be your priority after an indulgent weekend. If you’ve been drinking alcohol, eating foods rich in sodium or just not focusing on your water intake, you’re likely dehydrated! Our body needs water to process and clear waste — think of water as a literal flush to your system and drink up. Bonus points: add some fresh squeezed lemon to your water. It will help with digestion and boost your immune system.
2. Sleep. Do you feel like you get sick after every indulgent weekend or weekend of travel? It’s likely because you’ve been staying up later than usual or simply not getting enough quality sleep. Get back on track with your sleeping habits because sleep is king when it comes to our health! Read all about the health benefits of adequate sleep here.
3. Sip apple cider vinegar. I swear by ACV and make one of these ACV drinks is part of my daily morning routine almost every day. Of course when I’m traveling it’s not always possible so I hop right back on my daily ACV regimen as soon as I get home. I love the gentle detox effects of apple cider vinegar. Check out this blog for all of the health benefits of ACV!
4. Stick to one-ingredient foods. After a weekend of indulging or eating a ton of sugar it’s likely your body might still be craving heaps of food or sugary treats. To keep yourself full load up on single-ingredient foods with a mix of lean protein, healthy fats and fiber-rich carbs like veggies. If you’re still craving sugar and need a fix, opt for fiber-rich, low-sugar fruits like berries to satisfy the craving.
5. Eat a salad. You know me, I believe in the power of salads! Salads are a great way to get a ton of veggies in and after a weekend where nutrients might not have been a priority, they taste oh so good! Have you ever noticed how your body craves wholesome food after a few days of junk food? Our bodies are so smart! I highly recommended the habit of replacing one meal a day with a meal-sized salad. Not a small, sad salad — a big salad that is loaded with lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbs. Check out this post for tips for how to build a healthy meal-sized salad.
6. Get back into your regular workout routine. It’s so easy to fall out of routine when it comes to workouts so make the conscious decision to jump right back in! No need to do anything extreme that leaves your body feeling even more drained, just get back into your normal workouts. That first workout back might be tough during the process, but you’ll feel so good afterward. Need some workout motivation? Check out all the workouts I have posted here.
7. Give yourself a little grace. Think about what you would say to a friend who told you that they had an indulgent weekend. You’d likely say it’s no big deal — that one weekend is nothing in the grand scheme of things and that after a couple days of drinking plenty of water and getting nutrient dense foods they’ll be feeling 100% again. Once you have in your head how you would treat a friend in this situation… say those exact same things to yourself and trust that your body will naturally balance itself out.
I hope these tips for getting back on track are helpful! I also filmed a What I Eat in a Day video right after the bachelorette weekend so you can see what my balanced “get back on track” meals look like AND I created a FREE one day sample meal plan to help you get back to feeling your best. Just fill out your name and email address below and it will be delivered to your inbox.