Muddy Buddies, Puppy Chow, Trash – it goes by many names but no matter what you call it — it’s delicious and highly addictive!
It’s also not a health food.
I’m all about indulging, especially around the holidays, but I find it funto make recipes a little healthier so I tweaked the original recipe I grew up with as a kid. This version has less calories and more protein than the traditional blend but it tastes just as good! One 1/2 cup serving has 7 grams of protein, compared to the 3 grams in the regular mix. And if you’re looking for even more protein, you could certainly add more protein powder than powdered sugar. I was making this mix as a gift and didn’t want the protein powder flavor to be too overwhelming so I decided to roll with 1/4 cup.
Holiday Protein Muddy Buddies
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- Pour powered sugar and protein powder into 2-gallon resealable zip-lock bag.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips to melt on high 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in powered peanut butter mixture.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Add covered cereal mixture into the bag with the powdered sugar and protein powder. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Make sure you let it cool for a while before putting it in a container, otherwise your mix will get soggy.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Take to your next holiday party or portion into cute containers and give it away as gifts.
Or keep it around the house — but I will warn you, it’s easy to eat a whole batch of it in a day. Not that happened to me or anything.
I knew I couldn’t be trusted with a huge batch of this around the house so I packaged up a good portion of the mix to give to John and Sherry. 😉
What’s your favorite holiday baked good?