5-Ingredient Chocolate Coconut Bars
Published Dec 06, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These chocolate coconut bars taste like a magic cookie bar but are easier to make with only 5 simple ingredients. They’re crisp around the edges and have a nice chewy center.
Introducing your new favorite sweet treat: chocolate coconut bars!
My whole family gobbles up these bars whenever I make them, which is often because they are SO easy to make. You just need 5 ingredients and one bowl and you’ll have a chewy, sweet treat to enjoy in no time!
Not only are these bars easy to make, but they’re absolutely delicious! They remind me of magic cookie bars just without the cookie crust. Coconut + nuts + chocolate = chef’s kiss!
Why You’ll Love These Bars
- Delicious – The combo of coconut, chocolate and nuts is pure perfection!
- Easy to Make – With just 5 ingredients and one bowl these bars are a breeze to whip up.
- Perfect texture – These bars are gooey and chewy in the center and have crisp edges. The perfect combo, IMO!
- Allergen-friendly – These bars are gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan making them the perfect sweet treat for those with dietary restrictions or allergies.
Here’s What You’ll Need
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make these chocolate coconut bars, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen.
- shredded coconut – make sure you’re using unsweetened shredded coconut and not a sweetened version. You also want to make sure your coconut is longer strands and not coconut chips or desiccated coconut. This will effect how the bars turn out so make sure you’re using the right type of coconut!
- chopped pecans and almonds – add a nutty crunch to these bars. I love the combo of pecans and almonds, but feel free to use your favorite combo of nuts.
- dark chocolate chips – for some chocolatey goodness! I like Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips, which are vegan and allergen-friendly and Lily’s dark chocolate chips for a low sugar option.
- sweetened condensed coconut milk – the “glue” that holds these bars together! I used Nature’s Charm sweetened condensed coconut milk, but any brand should work. You can also make homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk if you prefer. If you don’t need these bars to be vegan you can use regular sweetened condensed milk.
How to Make Chocolate Coconut Bars
Step 1: Add all your ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir until fully combined.
Step 2: Transfer the mixture to a prepared 8×8 pan spreading it out evenly and pressing down with a spatula. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Use the right type of coconut: Make sure you’re using unsweetened shredded coconut and not coconut chips or desiccated coconut otherwise your bars might not hold together as well.
- Chop nuts: Make sure to evenly chop the pecans and almonds into small pieces. If the pieces are too big the bars might not hold together as nicely.
- Watch the oven: Keep an eye on the bars in the last few minutes of baking as the shredded coconut can go from golden to burnt quickly!
- Cool completely: Allow the bars to cool in the pan before attempting to cut them. This helps them set and makes cutting easier.
Serving Ideas for Chocolate Coconut Bars
These bars are excellent on their own as a snack, or a sweet dessert! Here’s a few options that would pair deliciously with these bars.
Drizzle Options: Take these bars to the next level with a drizzle of nut butter, chocolate, or coconut butter for something a little extra. You could even take two bars with your favorite nut butter and make a little sandwich!
Ice Cream: Serve alongside a scoop of vanilla or coconut ice cream for a sweet dessert combination.
With Yogurt: Crumble a bar into a bowl of yogurt for a crunchy texture, perfect for a tasty breakfast or snack.
Something Warm: These bars go perfectly with your favorite cup of warm coffee or tea!
Troubleshooting Tips For Gooey Bars
There could be a few reasons why your bars might be too gooey or melty. First of all, I recommend storing these bars in the fridge or freezer to prevent them from getting too soft. Another reason your bars might be be too gooey is that you didn’t bake them long enough or let them cool completely to firm up before cutting them into bars.
How to Store Chocolate Coconut Bars
- In the fridge: I recommend storing these bars in the fridge to keep them firm and prevent them for becoming too soft. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- In the freezer: These bars freeze well. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, separating layers with parchment paper. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
More Easy Desserts to Try
- Healthier Magic Cookie Bars (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- 5-Ingredient Healthier Peanut Butter Cups
- Homemade Samoas Cookies
- Almond Joy Bars
- Chocolate Covered Snickers Stuffed Dates
Be sure to check out the full collection of dessert recipes on EBF!
5-Ingredient Chocolate Coconut Bars
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer mixture to your baking pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let the bars cool completely before cutting into bars Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.