Vegetarian Sheet Pan Dinner with Tofu, Chickpeas and Butternut Squash
Published Sep 20, 2019, Updated Jul 08, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This vegetarian sheet pan dinner features tofu, chickpeas, butternut squash, and red onion. Everything is roasted and served with a creamy tahini sauce for a flavorful, protein-packed meal.
I’m back with another one-pan dinner and this time it’s a vegetarian sheet pan meal. I recently asked in my Facebook group how many nights you prefer to cook during the week. The number of nights differed, but the one thing everyone agreed on was that quick and easy dinners that didn’t take a ton of prep work are where it’s at. I HEAR YA! After recipe testing all day, the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen making elaborate meals.
This is where a sheet pan meal comes in! One bowl + one pan and you’re done! This meal is vegan, but honestly, no one will miss the meat. The combination of oven-roasted butternut squash, crispy flavorful tofu, and a delicious creamy tahini sauce makes this one of my favorite sheet pan meals yet! This is a great recipe if you’ve been wanting to try tofu or want to add in a plant-based meal to your week.
- extra-firm tofu – you’ll marinate this in liquid aminos, maple syrup and garlic powder. SO GOOD!
- roasted vegetables – I used butternut squash and chickpeas but feel free to use your favorite veggies.
- seasoning – I kept things simple but added some additional flavor with red onion, salt and pepper.
- sauce – the star of the show in my opinion… promise me you won’t skip this delicious tahini sauce!
How to Make a Vegan Sheet Pan Meal
This sheet pan meal involves tofu, and when you’re cooking with tofu, the first step is *usually* to press it! Drain the liquid from the package, wrap in paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, set some heavy items on the wrapped tofu and literally press the extra liquid out! This allows the tofu to absorb all of the delicious flavors of the marinade.
After your tofu is pressed, combine the chopped tofu, liquid aminos, maple syrup and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix to combine and set aside so it can marinate for at least 30 minutes.
While your tofu marinates, you’ll prep the tahini sauce and veggies! Sure, you could say making this tahini sauce is going the extra mile but it is 1000% worth it. Yes, 1000%. Chop your butternut squash and onion and you’re almost ready to bake!
Add the chopped butternut squash, chickpeas, and onion to a large baking sheet. If you want a little less clean up, line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss everything to make sure every veggie is coated with a little oil and seasoning! Add the marinated tofu to the pan and toss again. Make sure all of the ingredients are spread out on the sheet pan in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes in a preheated oven. Remove from the oven, toss all ingredients and place back in the oven for an additional 40 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy, the tofu is golden brown and the squash is tender.
Portion out the roasted butternut squash, chickpea, and tofu mixture onto plates. Drizzle the tahini sauce on top and add cilantro for a garnish! You can never have enough tahini sauce, so I like to serve a little extra on the side!
More One Pan Vegetarian Dinners
- Tempeh Butternut Squash Bake
- Mushroom Stroganoff
- Sriracha Cauliflower and Chickpea Sheet Pan Meal
More Tasty Tofu Recipes
- 16 Tofu Recipes That You’ll Crave
- Baked Tofu
- Asian Tofu Tacos
- Tofu Zucchini Lasagna
- Tofu Cabbage Noodle Bowl
- Orange Tofu
- Tofu Stir-Fry
Be sure to check out all of my tofu recipes as well as my full collection of healthy sheet pan dinners.
Tofu Sheet Pan Meal
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, pressed, drained and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons liquid aminos, coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 6 cups peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium/large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- tahini sauce
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Add chopped tofu, aminos, maple syrup, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Toss and let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Prep tahini sauce while tofu is marinating.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add chopped butternut squash, chickpeas, and onion to a large sheet pan. Drizzle on the oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add tofu to the pan and toss once more.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, toss ingredients and place back in the oven for 40 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp, tofu is golden and butternut squash is fork-tender.
- Portion butternut squash, chickpea, tofu mixture onto plates, garnish with cilantro and drizzle with tahini sauce. Serve with extra tahini sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This recipe is SO GOOD! It’s so simple to make, with simple, healthy and protein-rich ingredients, and it tastes absolutely delicious. I poured the extra tofu marinade over the veggies before baking everything which added to the flavor. I’m glad my husband isn’t a fan of tofu because it means I get to eat this all week! I love a good tahini dressing but I ran out of time to make it – and I’m not even sure it needs it. 12/10. Make this!
Ah this is the best, Sam, I am incredibly excited to hear that you are loving this recipe. Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your review + star rating, it means so much to me!
See More Comments