Since all I did was talk about wedding stuff in my last post I thought today would be an excellent day to share a tasty recipe! Who am I kidding, every day is an excellent day to share a tasty recipe…
This one was inspired by a broccoli & cauliflower salad that my mom used to make all the time. It was sweet, crunchy and absolutely perfect for summer cook-outs. I loved that salad and used to request that my mom make it all the time. Alas, said salad is like most southern “salads” and has a good amount of mayo, 1/2 cup of sugar and bacon.
I decided to try my hand at a healthy version of this old favorite and found a variety of recipes online for raw broccoli salads. I used those as inspiration and came up with a mighty fine version. One that’s vegan and almost 100% raw.
This version is still crunchy, rich in flavor and sweet but with much healthier ingredients like raw nuts, seeds and raisins. I even managed to sneak uber-healthy apple cider vinegar into the dressing! I think I’ll take it to my next family potluck / cook-out and see if my version is better than mom’s.
Raw Broccoli Raisin Salad
The cashew dressing is creamy, nutty and delicious and makes this broccoli salad one of the best I’ve ever had! This recipe isn’t 100% raw because it does have dijon mustard. If you’re following a raw diet, you can tweak the recipe to your needs.
- 6 cups broccoli (two small to medium sized crowns), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Cashew dressing (recipe below)
- Mix together broccoli, raisins, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Top with dressing and combine until all ingredients are covered.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 1- 2 hours
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon agave (or other liquid sweetener like maple syrup)
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender or processor until completely smooth.
Oh and I have to mention the blue plate that I’m using in these photos. It’s from a new shop that opened in CaryTown called Modern Artifacts that carries a variety of hand-made items. We walked into the store last Friday evening and I decided I needed this little plate so Isaac bought it for me! Turns out we were their first customers!! It was a really fun experience – they even took our picture. They have these plates in all different colors so hopefully I’ll be able to buy some others to add to my collection.
Have a great day. If you’re on the east coast, enjoy the beautiful weather! The high is supposed to be in the mid-80′s here today, just like yesterday. I’m loving it!!
PS- Did anyone catch Modern Family last night? We missed it so we’ll probably watch it tomorrow, but I know it’s about Cam and his ex-clown partner so I’m excited.