Since all I did was talk about wedding stuff in my last post I thought today would be an excellent day to share a tasty recipe! Who am I kidding, every day is an excellent day to share a tasty recipe…
This one was inspired by a broccoli & cauliflower salad that my mom used to make all the time. It was sweet, crunchy and absolutely perfect for summer cook-outs. I loved that salad and used to request that my mom make it all the time. Alas, said salad is like most southern “salads” and has a good amount of mayo, 1/2 cup of sugar and bacon.
I decided to try my hand at a healthy version of this old favorite and found a variety of recipes online for raw broccoli salads. I used those as inspiration and came up with a mighty fine version. One that’s vegan and almost 100% raw.
This version is still crunchy, rich in flavor and sweet but with much healthier ingredients like raw nuts, seeds and raisins. I even managed to sneak uber-healthy apple cider vinegar into the dressing! I think I’ll take it to my next family potluck / cook-out and see if my version is better than mom’s.
- 6 cups broccoli (two small to medium sized crowns), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 1- 2 hours
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a high powered blender or processor until completely smooth.
- Mix together broccoli, raisins, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Top with dressing and combine until all ingredients are covered.
Oh and I have to mention the blue plate that I’m using in these photos. It’s from a new shop that opened in CaryTown called Modern Artifacts that carries a variety of hand-made items. We walked into the store last Friday evening and I decided I needed this little plate so Isaac bought it for me! Turns out we were their first customers!! It was a really fun experience – they even took our picture. They have these plates in all different colors so hopefully I’ll be able to buy some others to add to my collection.
Have a great day. If you’re on the east coast, enjoy the beautiful weather! The high is supposed to be in the mid-80′s here today, just like yesterday. I’m loving it!!
PS- Did anyone catch Modern Family last night? We missed it so we’ll probably watch it tomorrow, but I know it’s about Cam and his ex-clown partner so I’m excited.