Protein Packed Blackberry Smoothie

by on February 28, 2012

I’ve been blogging for almost four years and sometimes when I go back and look at old posts, I cringe. Mostly at the photos.

My photography skills have progressed immensely over the years so I’ve decided it’s time to update some of my old recipes. I started with these butternut squash fries – a super easy and delicious recipe! And today I’m updating my blackberry smoothie recipe.

Protein Packed Blackberry Smoothie

Blackberry Smoothie

I love the bright color of this smoothie and the fact that it’s packed with protein from the Greek yogurt.
Author:
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of fresh blackberries
  • ½ of a frozen banana
  • 1 – (6 oz) container of plain non-fat/low-fat Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
  • 4 cubes of ice
  • ½-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other type of milk, if needed
  • a few drops of liquid stevia or other natural sweetener, to taste
Instructions
  1. Place blackberries, banana, yogurt, ice cubes and ¼ cup milk in blender and blend until fruit is pureed and ingredients are well combined.
  2. Add stevia to sweeten and more milk to get the desired thickness (if necessary).

Protein Packed Blackberry Smoothie

Michelle@PeachyPalate February 28, 2012 at 6:50 am

God I cringe at my photos and I’ve only been blogging since last August!!! Love remaking things though, gives them another chance to shine!

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 7:00 am

I was just browsing through some old posts last night and I was literally appalled at my photo skills back then. LoL I guess a good camera and some practice really does do wonders!

Eating Bird Food February 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Yes, it totally does!

Trisha February 28, 2012 at 7:01 am

mmmmm. . . Sounds so good!! I wish I could reach into the screen and Drink it!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 28, 2012 at 7:14 am

Haha! I always cringe at old photos too – I’ve definitely done a “redo” when it comes to photos and recipes!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies February 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

That color is amazing! (I’m still cringing at my photo skills – a year and a half later! I need help!!!)

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 28, 2012 at 8:28 am

I love the color of this smoothie! It makes me cringe looking at my pictures from when I first started blogging, the best purchase I made was buying my canon rebel, my picture quality has sky rocketed!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 28, 2012 at 8:50 am

The color really is incredible!! Barney purple!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Probably the prettiest smoothie ever. I’d ruin it with some spinach. :)

Eating Bird Food February 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I like the way you think Claire!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

well I LOVE this photo!!!!!!! so happy!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 28, 2012 at 10:56 am

That is the most vibrant smoothie I have ever seen! Blackberries are my all time favorite fruit.

Kimberly February 28, 2012 at 11:10 am

That straw is so cool! Where did you get it?

Eating Bird Food February 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Jane February 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

The color in that smoothie is amazing! I cringe at some of my pictures from just a couple months ago! haha

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love the color here! I have no blackberries on hand but I bet my marionberries would be delish!

Oh and I so know what you mean about going back and cringing… I do too!

Angie @ Losing It and Loving It February 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

What a vibrant color smoothie! I have never made a blackberry smoothie so I’ll definitely have to do that soon. Yum!

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot February 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Haha, I get what you mean about old photos! But, I do think it is SO cool to look back at Old Photos and see how far you have come! That just shows you how much further you will go! And to be honest, when I look back at your first post, and see where you are now, it gives me full faith that I too will expand and grow! It’s very inspiring :)

Eating Bird Food February 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Awww. Thanks Paige! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Love the photos and the color of the smoothie. The color reminds me of a drink Superman would drink! :) I love the recipe, I’l have to try it!

Megan @ Fiterature February 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm

The color of that smoothie is out of this world! Sounds yummy – can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Jenna Z February 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm

WOW< what a gorgeous smoothie! And I just happen to have blackberries in my freezer, from my bushes last summer. (Gotta get them used up!)

BroccoliHut February 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Beautiful! I was planning on using this recipe for my project (the one I e-mailed you about a few months ago), so I will def use this gorgeous picture.
PS Is that a stainless steel straw? Where did you get it?

Eating Bird Food February 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh that’s awesome! And yes, please use the new photo. :)

I bought a four pack of these stainless steel straws on Amazon http://astore.amazon.com/eatbirfoo-20/detail/B000AUIN18

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free February 29, 2012 at 8:45 am

That is one gorgeous, bright smoothie!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate February 29, 2012 at 11:35 am

This smoothie looks delicious! And I love that it combines so many good-for-you ingredients. I’ve been on a big blackberry kick as of late and I love that they showed up here. Such a great way to boost the fiber-content of this already fab beverage.

pattisj February 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I’ve been crazy for blackberries lately. Can’t wait to try this.

LizAshlee February 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

That is the prettiest smoothie I have ever seen!!! :)

Katharina February 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm

That is the brightest smoothie I’ve ever seen! I like it :D I also like that straw! Nifty.

XO!

p.s. just had a flashback to when we made dinner at your place + grill mwahaha. Thinking of you <3

Eating Bird Food February 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

That was soo fun and the veggies were amazing!!! I hope you are doing well my dear!

Superfood Sisters February 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

The picture is AWESOME!! And the smoothie sounds wonderful!!

The Healthy Apple March 1, 2012 at 12:14 am

So pretty, Britt. I wanna slurp it up! So great chatting with you yesterday. Miss you and love you. So happy for you and all you’re doing. xoox Keep up the great work and have a fabulous time wedding planning!

Neuropsychologist Clinical Melbourne March 1, 2012 at 1:13 am

Awesome blog post and nice photo keep it up. great job..!!

Anna @ Blissfully Banana March 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Oh my goodness! This smoothie looks so pretty, and I bet it tastes super delicious! I have never used yogurt in a smoothie…does it make it creamy??

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition March 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Love that color!

Catherine March 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

It’s been a few days since you originally posted this and I am still obsessing over how vibrant that smoothie looks. Just purchased my own set of metal straws through your link so my smoothies can look just as awesome!

Eating Bird Food March 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Awesome! I hope you like them!

Annette Newton March 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I just finished pinning your Black Berry Smoothie! and I noticed the color of the straw, do you mind me asking where you found these straws? My daughter is having a rustic wedding and we are using mason jars to drink out of, and these straws would be cool to use!

Eating Bird Food March 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Hi Annette,

I bought a four pack of the stainless steel straws on Amazon http://astore.amazon.com/eatbirfoo-20/detail/B000AUIN18

Best of luck wedding planning. I’m in the midst of planning a wedding as well! :)

Travis Ehrenstrom April 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

This recipe is so good! I’ve fallen in love with almond milk lately, it’s proven a great replacement for soy. My girlfriend just bought me a juicer and I’ve been making my own almond milk, so much fun! Do you juice your own almonds, or which brand would you recommend?

Eating Bird Food April 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hi Travis. I’m glad you like the recipe! I’ve made my own almond milk in the Vitamix but most of the time I buy Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Shannon @ RecipesMe April 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

This smoothie sounds good for being healthy ha ha. I might have to try it :)

Stephanie December 22, 2012 at 8:39 am

Do you think this could be frozen and still taste good when thawed? I have never tried freezing smoothies. What do you think?

Brittany Mullins December 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm

hmm… I’m not 100% how it would be. I would just make it and put it in the fridge until you want to drink it — as long as you plan to drink it within 24 hours or so.

Emily Brown March 8, 2013 at 12:10 am

Yummy! Got one on my fridge now.

Sara August 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

Yummy! Great recipe.
I will give you a site in USA where I got real fruit on powder form, I mix it with milk and ice cream to go healthy. they have berries, mango, soursop, apple, pineapple, etc. A lot of fruits & veggies. Enjoy guys! http://www.freshlydried.com