Quinoa Parfait and Other Weekend Highlights

by on August 8, 2010

Ahh.. I found a new breakfast treat that you have to try….

berryquinaparfait.jpg

I stumbled across a quinoa parfait recipe online, thought it sounded tasty and decided to make my own similar creation. I have 10 lbs of peaches on my counter top (again) so of course, I had to incorporate peaches.

‘Twas a grand idea, as this breakfast was definitely a highlight of my weekend!

quinoaparfait.jpg

Perfectly Peach Quinoa Parfait

(adapted from this recipe by Dr. Oz)

• 1/3 cup cooked quinoa**

• 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt

• 2 drops of liquid stevia (honey, agave, maple syrup or any other sweetener could be used)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

• 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

• 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed

• 1 small peach, chopped

• 1/4 cup granola

Directions

** I cooked the quinoa, per package directions, the night before, let it cool and then placed it in the fridge overnight.

Mix quinoa, yogurt, stevia, vanilla extract and cinnamon in small bowl. In another small bowl, stir blueberries and peaches together. Spoon 1/3 of the quinoa mixture into a tall glass, then 1/3 of the fruit mixture on top. Repeat layers twice, ending with the fruit mixture.Sprinkle on the granola and enjoy!

Another highlight was the Greek Quinoa dish I took to a little cookout on Saturday night.

greekquinoa.jpg

It’s a recipe I found in Fitness Magazine over a year ago. We’ve made it plenty of times, for many people and everyone always ends up enjoying it.

I read quite a few health related magazine and Fitness, by far, has the best recipes! Every one I’ve tried, I’ve liked! Which reminds me, I need to renew my subscription.

Last but not least, these tasty little tomatoes I picked up as part of the CSA have been making me smile all weekend.

tomatoes.jpg

I love having cherry tomatoes around to toss onto salads or pop as a snack. I’m pretty sure they are my favorite summer veggie – I know they’re technically a fruit, but they are a vegetable in my eyes.

Currently, I’m typing up this post outside and getting ready to enjoy a late dinner with a few friends – it’s bound to be another highlight. :)

What was the best part of your weekend?

-Brittany

BroccoliHut August 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm

mmm I am a huge fan of breakfast parfaits, so this recipe sounds great! I had no idea Dr. Oz had recipes…

Monet August 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

What a protein packed way to start the day. I’ve been trying to find a new and creative breakfast staple, and this parfait looks delicious. I love quinoa, but I always use it in savory dishes. I’m excited to give this a try!

stephanie August 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm

hope you had a great weekend! highlight of ours was going to va beach for the day today and spending it oceanside :)

i keep a bowl of cherry golds on the counter too, makes the best lil’ snack as I’m “passing through” the kitchen!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm

i love that u referred to the good ol Dr. Oz for a nice healthy parfait <3 mm i just posted one. I love the idea of adding quinoa too it!!

xoxo

Heidi August 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I just found your blog thru Bran Appetit and I am SO glad that I did. I’m a VA girl too – down in Va Beach.
Thanks for the great recipe! I recently started using quinoa in my savory entrees, but I’d love to try it for a sweet breakfast.

Tina August 8, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Those tomatoes look YUMMY! I swear, good cherry tomatoes are better than candy…seriously!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 9, 2010 at 6:39 am

Mmmm this quinoa parfait looks delicious!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 9, 2010 at 8:46 am

That parfait looks great. I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast, but this looks like something I want to try! The best part of my weekend was spending time with my husband – my sister/niece/nephew are coming to visit this week, so any alone time we got was the best!

JL Goes Vegan August 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I love, love, love quinoa! Can’t wait to try the parfait!

Diana @ VEGeneration August 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Wow, quinoa is so versatile! Never would’ve imagined it as a breakfast food, but hey, any grain could be sweetened up I guess! Very pretty parfait :)

Rachael August 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Sweet quinoa sounds pretty good – it’ll be nice to try when the weather gets cool again and I need a bowl of warmness to get going in the morning.
I love cherry tomatoes – just picked up a basket of yellow and orange one en route to Ithaca, NY.
Best thing over the weekend was seeing my family – aunt and cousins- that I hadn’t visited in about four years. My cousin (always a baby in my mind) is sprouting beard hairs. I feel old!

Lauren @ vegology August 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Yummm quinoa – that looks delicious! Have you tried red or black quinoa? I saw both at Ellwood Thompson last night and I think I’m going to try it in something soon…

TheHealthyApron September 6, 2010 at 10:46 am

You have inspired me to try quinoa one more time!! Both recipes sound awesome! Thanks for sharing!