Going Chocolate Covered Bananas

by on June 11, 2010

Although I eat pretty healthy, I still have quite the sweet tooth and love my dessert. Sometimes it’s a small bowl of cereal after dinner, fro yo from my favorite place, banana soft-serve, trail mix or a piece of dark chocolate. Occasionally it’s something more elaborate, like last night for instance I whipped up a Chocolate-Coated Frozen Bananas from Tosca Reno’s The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged!

chocolate covered banana

I was sent the book to review and so far I haven’t had much time to create many dishes, but there are some great clean eating tips and some delcious looking recipes. This one in particular stood out to me and I’ve had it on my “to-make” list for a while now. The best part is that I was granted permission to share the recipe with you all so it’s posted below. I made a couple changes (namely the almonds) but overall the recipe is pretty much the same as what you’d find in the book.

chocolate covered banana

Chocolate-Coated Frozen Bananas

• 4 medium bananas
  • 8 bamboo skewers
  • 4 oz. Good-quality chocolate, 70% cocoa or darker (I used Sunspire dairy and gluten free semi sweet chocolate chips)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut butter
  • 2 Tbsp almonds, chopped

Directions

1. Prepare small baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
  2. Peel each banana. Discard peels and cut tips off each banana. Cut each banana in half.
  3. Insert a bamboo skewer into each piece of banana.
  4. Lay pieces on baking sheet. Lay a piece of parchment paper gently over the bananas and place in freezer. Freeze for a few hours until banana is well frozen.
  5. Before serving, melt chocolate and coconut butter gently in a double boiler. Add almonds. Mix well.
  6. Dip each frozen banana piece into the chocolate and return to baking sheet (or decorative platter lined with parchment paper) when done. Serve.

chocolate covered banana

These turned out perfectly and tasted strangely similar the ice cream sundaes with the chocolate shell coating I used to eat as a kid! I’m pretty certain this recipe would be right up Chocolate-Covered Katie’s alley. :)

chocolate covered banana

The recipe calls for coconut oil to help melt and liquify the chocolate and I used Nutiva Raw Coconut Oil. You can always use another oil if you don’t have coconut oil on hand but I’ve come accustomed to having coconut oil in the pantry because it’s quite useful – particularly when making raw treats like macaroons.

Raw Coconut Oil

Just in case you haven’t been introduced to coconut oil before, here are a few facts. It’s ideal as a high-heat cooking oil, as a nutritious baking oil, as well as, a delicious butter substitute on crackers, vegetables, or popcorn. I like adding a bit of coconut oil to smoothies or oats for a bit of healthy fat to keep me feeling full or using it instead of olive oil to roast veggies.

Nutiva notes on their website that the raw, cold-centrifuged oil has a very light flavor and is less sweet than expeller-pressed Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. If you prefer a sweeter, richer coconut flavor you might want to try their original expeller pressed coconut oil. However, if you are following a raw diet, this oil would be perfect for you!

Before coming home and eating CC Bananas, Isaac and I went to Groovin’ in the Garden. The head liner was Josh Ritter, but we were more interested in hearing Mason Jennings, a Minnesotan musician that both Isaac and I have liked since college.

Groovin' in the Garden- Lewis Ginter

We went right after work so by the time we arrive we were both hungry for dinner. Luckily, they had some tasty and healthy options for sale.

Isaac and I spilt a veggie wrap and mixed fruit.

veggiewrap.JPG

The wrap tasted like something I would have made at home, in a good way, with fresh julienned carrots, squash and zucchini; lettuce, tomato, and hummus stuffed into a whole wheat wrap.

mixed fruit

Perfect pairing for a warm summer evening.

The highlight of the evening was getting to meet and take a picture with Mason!

Mason Jennings

He was super laid back and friendly – it was like meeting with an old friend!

And right now, I’m off to my first-ever bachlorette party in Milwaukee. One of my best girlfriends from college (also named Brittany) is getting married in September so we are going to shower her on Friday evening and then partake in a day full of activities on Saturday. I’m super pumped and can’t wait for all the shenanigans to begin. I’m just hoping no one brings the penis tchotchkes- haha- have you all seen this new trend with bachlorette parties?!? Yea, let’s just say I’m not a fan of glowing penis necklaces.

I hope you have a fun filled weekend planned as well!

- Brittany

PS – Please remember to vote for me as Richmond’s Healthiest Person. You can vote as many times as you want and it goes until next Wednesday, June 16th. Obviously, I would be honored to win the title of RVA’s Healthiest Person, so I need your help! :)

PPS – I’ve you haven’t heard of Mason Jennings you should check him out – here’s one of my favs.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Welcome to Wisco, Brittany!! It’s nice and humid here this weekend :) Have fun at the bachelorette partay!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife June 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Those look UH MAZE ING. Thanks for sharing!!

Cara June 11, 2010 at 6:06 pm

awww you look adorable and so happy!!

Claire June 11, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I love Mason Jennings and chocolate dipped bananas! great post lady!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

i love choc dipped bananas! i love when the bananas are frozen cuz it tastes kind of like ice cream <3

im pretty sure i need to get out more.. never heard of mason :(

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 11, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Ooooo do those bananas look good!! :)

Pure2Raw Twins June 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Chocolate covered bananas YUM. Sounds like a great summer treat! I hope you have a great weekend!!! :)

Justine June 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I have never had chocolate covered bananas-gasp! They sound like the perfect summer treat!

Jessica June 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I loooove chocolate covered bananas!!

Have fun tonight!

Lauren June 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

What a great idea for dessert! I love to have something sweet every day too. I fully believe that there is ALWAYS room for something a little sweet each day of your life.

Sounds like such a wonderful night and how cool that you met Mason!

All around, a good day for you Brittany! :)

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes June 11, 2010 at 7:58 pm

MmM thanks for the recipe!! LOL do you ever watch Arrested Development? These remind me of that……

Eating Bird Food July 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I hadn’t seen Arrested Development until today. I get it now. :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear June 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Bachelorette parties are so fun! It’s the perfect time to act silly and wear penis stuff – no one will think you are weird!

Monet June 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Brittany…Ryan and I love Mason Jennings…and Josh Ritter. What an amazing evening, and what a great picture of the two of you! Your chocolate covered bananas look scrumptious too. One of my favorite flavor combinations. Thanks for sharing, love!

teenagehealthfreak June 11, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I totally just made some chocolate covered bananas..i even did a post too..i make mine almost the same way! :)..great night time snack!

katie June 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm

GIRL THOSE Look aweesome!! I LOVE bananas frozen in the summer time!!!

BroccoliHut June 12, 2010 at 12:50 am

I, too, was sent that cookbook to review, and I remember eyeing that same recipe. Looks delicious! I will have to dig out that cookbook this weekend.
The concert looks like a blast!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 12, 2010 at 1:24 am

I just went bananas over that recipe – yum! I think Angela OSG made a similar recipe recently… now I am too – mmm!

Gena June 12, 2010 at 7:45 am

Voted!

And holy moly, what a scrumptious sweet treat!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) June 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love coconut oil! Perfect oil for everything! I need to make those bananas…I have never done that before! Good luck with the party…I am not so much a fan of glowing penises either!

Nora@LifeLifeEatRight June 12, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love chocolate dipped frozen bananas! PERFECT summer treat…well that and ice cream! Looks wonderful!

Christina @ A Beautiful Mess June 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thanks for the info on coconut oil, I’ve been hearing a lot about it but wasn’t really sure how to use it and your post was very helpful :O)

Nicci@NiftyEats June 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Have fun at the shower and bachlorette party. Chocolate covered bananas sounds and looks so delicious. I have to make these this weekend. I always enjoy Tosca and her clean eating dishes.

Sara June 12, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I love that you used the word tchotchkes; hilarious! Not hilarious: penis tchotchkes. I’m with you there. And chocolate-covered frozen bananas always remind me of the show Arrested Development! Hope you watched it. :)

I just voted for you! Have fun at the bachelorette party!

Sues June 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Ummm those chocolate covered bananas look SO good!!! I definitely need to get my hands on some coconut oil ASAP! Oh, and we had a bachelorette party for my best college friend last weekend and she had a “no penis rule.” Everyone followed it and she was so relieved!

So jealous you met Mason Jennings!

Chocolate Covered Katie June 13, 2010 at 7:48 am

Ok, so those might just be the prettiest things I’ve seen all week! :)
And thank you so much for the sweet (literally hehe) shout-out.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to vote for you pronto!!

Love (and chocolate),
Katie

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) June 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Great recipe…and I have everything I need in the house! Miraculous!

Marianne June 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

How much do I wish I had bananas in the house right now?

Liz June 18, 2010 at 9:36 am

My boyfriend and I almost drove down from DC for that show–we love Josh Ritter and Mason–but I forgot about it :( But we did see Mason the next night and got to meet him too! He’s the best! But I think he was wearing the same shirt both nights…