Healthy Banana Bread
Published Oct 05, 2010, Updated Jun 27, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Got overripe bananas? Try this healthy banana bread with a blend of regular and whole wheat flour, yogurt and cinnamon.
Last night I baked a loaf of banana bread and Isaac said it was the BEST banana bread I’ve ever made! That’s saying something, because I’ve made quite a few loaves in our nearly 6 years together.
This one is different because it’s made with blend of regular and whole wheat flour, yogurt and cinnamon. It’s moist and absolutely delicious. I’ve made it many times and tried a bunch of different variations and mix-ins.
Here Are The Key Ingredients You Need:
- all-purpose flour and whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- baking soda
- sea salt
- cane sugar or coconut sugar
- butter or coconut oil
- plain Greek yogurt
- vanilla extract
Banana Bread Variations
There are so many ways to make this banana bread work for you! Try these different variations to make the best banana bread:
- Nutty: add 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Decadent: add 1 cup chocolate chips
- Summery: add 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Less sugar: cut 1 cup organic sugar down to 1/2 cup and/or use maple syrup or honey
- Whole grain: use whole wheat pastry flour
- Gluten-free: Check out my gluten-free banana bread recipe made with coconut flour and coconut oil.
More Banana Bread Inspired Recipes
- Banana Bread Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats
- Cranberry Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- Baked Banana Bread with Oatmeal Cups
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Tahini Banana Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
The Best Banana Bread
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup organic cane sugar or coconut sugar*
- ¼ cup butter, softened or melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (1 1/2 cups)
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute).
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat at low speed just until moist.
- Spoon batter into an 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until a wooden tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.