Turn spaghetti squash into a meatless meal with this recipe for stuffed spaghetti squash lasagna bowls. Made with vegan ricotta and hemp parmesan.
I feel like 2016 has been the year of bowl meals. Although, I’m always late on trends so maybe 2015 was the year of bowl meals and I’m just now catching on. Either way, I adore bowl meals, especially when there’s an edible bowl involved.
They’re just so fun — you can impress guests with the presentation and there’s less clean up. What’s not to love?
Speaking of love, the spaghetti squash bowl meal I’m sharing today has quickly become a household favorite.
When coming up with the recipe I was quite certain that I would like it, but I wan’t so sure about Isaac, especially since I was using vegan ricotta cheese. Well apparently there was no reason to question it because the night I made this recipe for dinner Isaac couldn’t stop talking about how much he liked it. I call that a win!
Cheesy noodle-filled lasagna made healthy, vegan and gluten-free?!?! It seems impossible, right?
It’s actually not as hard as it seems.
The noodle part is super easy — simply bake a spaghetti squash and fork the noodles out. The cheesy part takes a little out-of-the-box thinking, but not by much. I used Kite Hill’s almond milk ricotta and this hemp parmesan. These two vegan cheeses combined give the spaghetti squash lasagna boats such a rich, cheesy flavor.
If you can’t find Kite Hill or another vegan ricotta in stores there are homemade vegan ricotta recipes online. I haven’t tried it, but this cashew ricotta looks like it might work well.
The best part about this meal (besides all the cheesy goodness) is the speedy cook time. If you roast your spaghetti squash in advance, you can throw these spaghetti squash lasagna bowls together in like 20 minutes. Hello, quick and easy weeknight meal!
And if you’re like me and enjoy cold pasta, you will love this dish leftover straight from the fridge. Cold pasta FTW!
Easy and healthy spaghetti squash lasagna bowls made with vegan ricotta and topped with hemp parmesan.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan ricotta cheese* (I used Kite Hill)
- 1/2 cup baby greens (spinach or arugula work great)
- crumbled vegan ricotta cheese, for topping
- hemp parmesan, for topping
- Heat oven to 350°. Chop spaghetti squash in half length wise, scoop out seeds with a spoon. Coat the inside of each half with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until you can easily pierce a fork through the squash. Let stand for 10 minutes, scrape the inside of the squash with a fork to remove the spaghetti-like strands.
- Combine spaghetti squash strands, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese and baby greens in a bowl.
- Increase oven to temperature to broil.
- Spoon spaghetti squash mixture into the bottom of each squash half. Top with a little crumbed ricotta cheese and broil for about 5-7 minutes or until ricotta gets a little golden.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with a little hemp parmesan and enjoy!
*If you’re not vegan, regular ricotta cheese will work too.
- Serving Size: 1/2 squash w/o hemp parm
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 12g