Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Published Oct 04, 2019, Updated Sep 16, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This healthy teriyaki chicken is cooked in the slow cooker with a sweet and savory Asian sauce. Once shredded, serve over rice with veggies for a full meal!
Fall is in the air… now is the time for slow cooker meals! Few things are better than prepping ingredients in the morning and having a delicious, healthy dinner ready for you at the end of the day. You don’t have to turn on your oven or spend time preparing dinner after work. We’re big fans of slow cooker meals over here!
This slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe feels extra fancy because it’s like takeout in the comfort of your own home. Bonus points for much fresher and healthier ingredients! Don’t get me wrong, I love treating myself to a dinner out, but I also love knowing what goes in the food I’m eating and I like to stick with high quality, real food as much as possible.
Ingredients in Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
The star of this recipe is definitely the sauce. Store-bought teriyaki sauce is usually a mixture of soy sauce, high fructose corn syrup, vinegar, salt, spices and other preservatives. While it’s super easy to buy a bottle at the store it’s allllmost just as easy to make the sauce at home. For this version we’re using the following ingredients:
- low-sodium tamari – soy sauce works great too but tamari makes this dish gluten-free
- ketchup – make sure to check the label for high fructose corn syrup and choose a brand that doesn’t use it
- olive oil
- chili garlic sauce (also called Sambal Oelek)
How to Make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Start by whisking together the sauce in a small bowl. Add the chicken breasts to a slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top, coating the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
I usually pick my heat level and cook time based on what my day looks like and when I’m prepping everything! When the chicken is done cooking, remove the chicken and transfer to a cutting board to let cool. You’ll leave the sauce in the slow cooker!
Whisk arrowroot powder and water until the powder dissolves. Arrowroot powder acts similarly to corn starch and helps thicken the sauce. Pour the arrowroot mixture into the slow cooker with the sauce and stir until smooth. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook uncovered until the sauce thickens.
Shred the chicken using two forks and then add chicken back into the slow cooker with the sauce to combine. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and serve. I like serving this shredded teriyaki chicken over rice with broccoli on the side.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Tempeh
- Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Slow Cooker Coconut Curried Eggplant
If you make this slow cooker teriyaki chicken, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how it turns out. Your feedback is so helpful for the EBF team and other EBF readers.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon low-sodium tamari, or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, also called Sambal Oelek
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch + 3 Tablespoons water
- sesame seeds, to taste
- cooked rice, white, brown or cauliflower
- steamed broccoli
- Make sauce by whisking together honey, tamari, onion, ketchup, olive oil and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker and pour sauce over top.
- Cook chicken on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Transfer chicken from the slow cooker to a cutting board and let cool.
- Whisk arrowroot powder with water until it dissolves. Pour the arrowroot mixture into the slow cooker and stir together until smooth.
- Turn slow cooker to High and cook uncovered until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is cool enough to touch, shredded chicken using two forks. Once shredded, add back into the slow cooker with the sauce and toss to combine. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and serve. I like serving the shredded teriyaki chicken over rice with broccoli on the side.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.