I’m the trail mix queen.
It’s probably in the top five when I think of my favorite snacks. There are so many varieties and they always include two of my favorites – nuts and dried fruit. Oh, and chocolate. Gotta love trail mix with chocolate.
Last weekend at FitBloggin’, McCormick was one of the sponsors and they were giving away little packets of trail mix at their table. I decided to take a pack and as soon as I had one bite, I couldn’t stop eating it – per the usual when it comes to me and trail mix, but this batch was particularly good. I found the recipe for said trail mix on the McCormick website and decided to tweak it a bit to make a pumpkin spice version with pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice.
T’was a grand idea, if I do say so myself.Print
Adapted from McCormick’s Super Spice Trail Mix
- 1/4 cup sucanat or whole cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, Ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted pecan halves
- 1 cup roasted salted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons all natural apple juice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Mix sucanat, cinnamon, paprika and pumpkin pie spice in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place almonds, oats, pecans, pepitas and walnuts in large bowl. Mix together pumpkin puree and apple juice; pour over nut mixture and toss until nuts are evenly coated. Sprinkle with spice mixture, tossing to coat well. Spread evenly on two baking pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Cool completely. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Store in airtight container.
I packed some up for a friend (Hi Barb) and put some in a mason jar for one of Isaac’s co-workers who watched Olive last time we went out-of-town. And now I’m thinking I might take some to work with me this morning as well – I can’t be trusted with a huge jar of this stuff in our pantry. I wish I was kidding. At least that means it’s good, right? 😉
Do you like trail mix?